• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Geting pan flash but not reliable ignition

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boule

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have been tinkering around with an Investarms flintlock kit since last year and, to my surprise, managed to complete it.
flintlock.jpg

It started shooting pretty fine with .495 round balls, .15 lubed patch and about 60gr FFg at the first range day but developed a tendency to hang fire and pan flash after the first few shots.
So, took it apart, cleaned it, took the flash hole liner out, dried everything blasted it with brake pad cleaner (think alcohol and very evaporative organics) put everything back together and had the same issue as soon as I hit the range again.
Before you ask: Wano 2F for main charge, pan either gets the same, "Zündkraut", Meal D or ground down BP. So far nothing has made a difference other than leaving some powder spots in my face.
Loading procedure: Wipe battery and pan, place vent pick, load main charge, tilt to right, prime pan, remove vent pick, get ready to fire..........

Honestly, I do not know what else I need to tinker with. Flash hole size a problem with Investarms? Any other known issues?
Percussion was so much easier.

The flash hole should be at least 1/16". You might have one of those Italian rifles with a small powder chamber at the breech. They will bridge over and plug up.
Ok, so how do you prevent it or fix it? Cleaning?

Is the vent liner drilled on the barrel side for powder to flow into?

Are you putting too much powder in the pan?

Is there a ridiculously stupid wall between the vent chamber and the main chamber?

I like the Investarm rifles but they don't have the best flash hole liners. Open the hole in the liner slightly, or get a higher quality replacement liner.
I opend mine to 1/16. I may replace it with the RCM(?) that takes the hex key? it is supposed to be a good one?

I like the Investarm rifles but they don't have the best flash hole liners. Open the hole in the liner slightly, or get a higher quality replacement liner.
Wat Trot said. Hole can be enlarged and/or a new liner installed. You did not show the lock and touchhole, placement of the hole may be off. If so, install a liner with no hole and drill a new one in proper location just at top of bottom of pan.

Agree with @EC121 and @Trot. The Investarms vent holes are too small. Drill it to 1/16” and deburr. If that doesn’t help try 3/32”, but don’t go larger. As said, a new, better liner may be needed. And as @Rifleman1776 said your hole to pan configuration is unknown without a photo.
Let me get you a picture tomorrow - currently got the rifle locked up and light could be better.
As far as the flash hole size goes, it is a little on the below nominal at 1,2mm. I'll open it up a touch and order a new flash hole liner on Monday.

I have that same trouble with the Pedersoli Scout kit i worked on since mid Summer. Its primer pan is very narrow n shallow. So i took the lock off, got my small burring tools n set to work with some mods. It did not seems to help would either pan flash or hang fire. So i drilled out the vent using a 1/16th. I installed new vent from TOW drilled to 1/16, did not help. It certainly wrecks new english flints with in 2-3 shots they are broke slabbed n ruined. I am thinking the Frizzen spring must be real stout .I have warranty but i will have to call DGW's. My true feelings is Pedersoli Flintlocks are the worst i have had. The barrel n kit parts were decent n when i get the Scout to fire it has very good accuracy at 25 yds. I have gotten 3 shots into ragged one hole with group, with 50 gr 3f Goex & prb .440

Can’t speak to flash hole size, but if you have a patent breech, 2F could quickly foul it. Not sure removing and cleaning the breech area could adequately clean the fouling from a patent breech. If you have a 22 cal. Brush that fits your cleaning rod, wrap a patch around it, some cleaning solution on it send it down the barrel. If you have a patent breech, it’ll come out compressed to the brush and dirty. An inexpensive endoscope will show all. Good luck.!

There are five sizes of number drills fron 1/16 to 5/64. There's another 5 fron 5/64 to 3/32. I don't recommend a touch hole greater than 5/64".

I agree. I have never had to go more than one size over 1/16(.0625). I believe it is about .0630". Much bigger than that can make a rifle a self-primer with 3F. :) However, I have counter-bored several to shorten the flash channel.

Do like Buckskinquin said. Also when you load slap the side of the stock on the side opposite from the lock to help powder drop into the smaller diameter patent breach area. Also using 3f as opposed to 2f powder may help.

Let me get you a picture tomorrow - currently got the rifle locked up and light could be better.
As far as the flash hole size goes, it is a little on the below nominal at 1,2mm. I'll open it up a touch and order a new flash hole liner on Monday.
Can get a replacement vent liner that is allen wrench style for larger exterior cone from oxy yoke. They are good ones. Put em on all my lymans.......

You might try slightly coning the outside surface of the touchhole. Should not need a pick in the touch hole while you load. You want the powder close to the hole. Try 4F for the pan. It flashes faster.

Latest posts

Back