• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What's the finish you use?.......

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Linseed oil too. British army used it for a couple hundred years, maybe more. good enough for them, good enough for me. i use it on my enfields and they survived wars.

Crewdawg445 said:
Another coat of linseed oil down... :grin:

Time consuming yes, but to add I've applied 10 coats of linseed oil, all handrubbed and I just love it. Simple as that, I've actually sprayed Tru oil through my HVLP gun and it really is great stuff, but I personally prefer the old ways I guess. Never had any issues with my BLSO finishes.

Never thought of spraying tru-oil! Linseed oil is hard to beat. I put probably 10 coats on my TN rifle to seal it, let it dry, then finished with a bunch of very thin coats of tru-oil. It gives a very warm, hand rubbed oil finish product.

Yup, easy to spray once thinned. Very, very light coats are all that's required or else you'll pay for rushing versus having patience! Sprayed it with my airbrush as well, smaller but I find my gravity feed gun sprays with more control, and the benefit of spraying at a very low pressure is great. One other reason I love using an HVLP gun is no over spray versus a siphon feed gun. Try it, think you'll be happy with its results.

"Oh, can’t wait to see pictures! I’m sure I will drooling over them. On the LLP Musket, are you going to go with the P1730 banana shaped lock plate or the P1756 straighter bottom lock plate?"

Hi Gus,
I am not sure yet. I suspect it will be the LLP pattern 1756. I think my client wants to have representative muskets for British infantry in the AWI and an example of an American made musket. He does a lot of living history events and talks at schools and quite a few public events each year. He already has a Pedersoli Bess (SLP pattern 69/75), which I may coerce him into letting me rework. Well 2015 has been mostly a long rifle year, 2016 may well turn out to be a British year for me. 2017? The world is my oyster haahaahaaaa.

dave

20151113_123517_zpsegw7bfhl.jpg
here is some hand rubbed Formby's on a fusil I just finished.

I tried Tru-Oil and didn't X care for dulling the sheen, for which I used rotten stone. Then I got hooked on hand-rubbed Formby's rung oil, but I can't find the satin anymore.

Now I use the Arm-R-Seal wiping varnish, wet-sanded for 1st two, then hand-rubbed for 3-4 more coats - all gloss - then I switch to the satin for the final 2 coats. All coats lightly rubbed in-between w/ the finest polishing 3M Scotchbrite pads.

The gloss gives a depth and sheen that needs to be seen to be truly appreciated. I'd post some pictures, but I haven't finished a muzzleloader w/ it yet, just a few single-shot BP cartridge rifles; Stevens 44-1/2 and Winchester high walls ...

Back