• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stock finish

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't recall who told me about using tung oil for a darker finish but I'd like to thank them. I just finished redoing my Renegade stock with Formby's tung oil and it really came out nice. Check it out - second from bottom.
20230622_110407.jpg

Don't forget the Minwax , Special Dark furniture wax. First line of defense in any weather for any finish used outside. Best to make the wax app. part of cleaning ritual.
The Johnson's paste wax is also a high quality furniture wax. I apply it and let it dry on the wood then buff it and it seals exceptionally well. I even do the barrel channel at least once a year.

I was working on the first stock I did with the walnut stain. I sanded it back down to remove the wax and added a couple coats of tung oil but the stock did not get as dark as the other one! I wanted it darker. What to do? Then I remember the wife had some Old English that she used to fix some scratches on the furniture. I went upstairs and found it. Took it down and put some on a cloth and started wiping the stock. I hope it stays like this. Its nice and dark and the grain just pops out beautifully. I have to wait a day or so for it to dry then I'll wax it and put the hardware back on. Pics to follow

Latest posts

Back