• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What visee/vises do you have to help hold your gun builds

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smk50

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was looking for a patternmakers vise, but a inexpensive one. Cant seem to find what im lookin fer so What are you guys all using. and the pros and cons of your setup. Just fishin for new/better mousetraps.

What type of vise to buy? (Topic#227793)
Check out this post it may help from dec last year...

I use a cheap woodworking vise from Lowes. I think it is a Wilton and cost about $20. Works great.

RobustBenchDec12_2008.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I use an old "Columbian" brand average bench vise. I guess I've just adapted to using it. You can really "tweek" a plain ol' vise by making different jaw pads & blocks.

The Parrot vise looks interesting.
I've had my eye on the Woodcraft pattern maker's vise before. Even more now that they've cut the price, but I don't think I could part with my old red Columbian vise. It was my Father's. I built my first gun with it (CVA Kentucky) when I was 13.

Ive got the parrot vise, with the standard mount, and also a friend made a gimbal mount for it. and it works great for a lot of stuff, but it is lacking in some regards. That swiss one looks like a nice deal, especially since I dont have a lathe either. I was thinking about making a vise with the woodworkers vise, except using 2 and putting tilting jaws in them, similar to the PM vise. I would like to spend time building rifles, instead of so much time building the tools to build rifles. On th ebright side at least im not on th ecouch all the time.

I have a standard wood working vise like the one shown except it is even with the top of the bench.

However, I dressed up some 2x6's and built rails for them so they slide back and forth in line and use pipe clamps to press the sides to the work. This "vise" is three feet long and clamped to the work bench. I suppose I over did it however I was planning on using a router for making a barrel channel and I needed a broad/wide surface. In essence- put everything in upside down and clamp- so top of stock is even with jaws of vise. About a 6" wide surface. Turn over and clamp to work bench and then attach template for router.
BUT- this is my first stock made from a plain sawn blank- let you know how it comes out.

That is a good idea to add rails! I ended up swaping the vice to the left side when I worked on the opposite side of my York kit. It only took a few minutes to swap out, but sliding it would have taken a lot less! :thumbsup:

I use two Wilton Vises that I purchased from Lowe's. I padded the jaws with leather from an old uniform belt and I also use oak blocks. The vises are spaced about 3' apart and work very well for me. Rick

FowlerBlank.jpg

I have the patternmaker's vise as sold by Midway when they closed them out recently (the same vise shown in the Woodcraft link above). It's fantastic and so much more versatile than the standard vises I was using. Don't know how I got along without it. BTW, the price in the Woodcraft link above is very good for this vise.

I use an old large bench vise, but mostly I use a lap vise.

Don't know what a lap vise is? Probably most of the work I do on a gun is with it held in my lap.

Back