• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What to expect

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Mueller

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Because of a different post, I'm thinking I would like to buy a used smooth bore flintlock. A fowler or a Northwest Trade Gun is what I have my sights aimed for(no pun intended-well actually yes). I really have no clue what to expect price wise. I'm not sure when I'm looking at a good deal or not. I want a 20 ga. which I believe is a .62cal. What's a good deal? I know that it all depends on the gun, but $$ is tight(being in college) so everything seems expensive at the time! I'm really looking for some ball park figures.

Anyways, thanks for the advice/help

Scouter

This is pretty ballpark, I would say the cheapest for a decent gun would be 500.00. You pretty much get what you pay for, I figure for 500.00 a person could buy the quality parts to assemble the gun. I would not expect to buy a gun with quality parts for less. flinch

You really do get what you pay for. In flintlocks especially, going cheap may well get you a gun that is so unreliable you will become frustrated and quit the hobby. It's better to save a little longer and get a good one. Check out the For Sale/Trade section of this forum.

Storm

When the economy turns sour there are good guns for sale at more than affordable prices. I have seen some pretty nice guns go for $450 to $500. I think that for $800 you could pick up something pretty good. Just be patient, go to reenactments and rendezous and check out the blanket traders, that's where the bargains are. Familiarize yourself with what makes a good gun and look around. The nice thing is that the gun you are looking for is pretty common.

Many Klatch

Stormrider51 said:
You really do get what you pay for. In flintlocks especially, going cheap may well get you a gun that is so unreliable you will become frustrated and quit the hobby. It's better to save a little longer and get a good one. Check out the For Sale/Trade section of this forum.

Storm

Good advise! :thumbsup:

I have been looking for a Northwest Trade Gun for about 6 months and find it amazing how much folks want for what is pretty much a plain Jane gun.

If you can find one for 5-6 hundred you better get on it.

The parts alone are close to that.

IMHO

I want it for a general bird gun. I'll definitely hunt turkey, but could hunt pheasant and grouse, and possibly quail, goose and duck. The only one I know for sure would be the turkey-mainly because that's what my girlfriend's dad hunts and he'll be the one taking me.
So I guess 500 bucks is a good price for a fair looking used Trade Gun?

Scouter

Ok, so how do you tell if they're quality parts?
Sorry, I'm pretty new to flintlocks and not very experienced with percussion.
Thanks,
Scouter

Scouter, Look on Track of the Wolf to get some idea of prices. I think you will have to shop forever to find a decent turkey gun for $500. Think more like a minimum of $1100 for a reliable gun, maybe a little less for a used Northwest trade gun. If it is much less than that you better have a very qualified traditional gunsmith check it out.

The parts for a quality gun run 350-500 bucks or more. So a well shaped and put together $1000 Kentucky with a patchbox and a little carving means the man that stocked it is doing skilled work of little more than minimum wage.
Now ask how the mass makers can make a ML as cheap as they do.
A GOOD ML has a lot of hand work in it. A Kentucky cost 5 to 10 pounds at the time of the American Revolution. This was a LOT of money.
However, a QUALITY flintlock depreciates very little and might be worth more after 5-10 years of use that it was new.
The cheap mass produced stuff is just that. Cheap and poorly designed.
Its a place to start I suppose. Thankfully they did not exist when I started shooting MLs. Do not buy a used one of this sort.

Dan

Exactly what "quality" is is a matter of opinion. There is no doubt that a $1200 gun is almost always much, much better than a $500 gun, but that dosen't mean manure if you can't afford a $1200 gun. You'd like to get out and be shooting, not planning what gun you "may" buy if you ever get enough money.

Most people I know started with commercial production guns. Some, like myself, have stayed with them because the “quality” is satisfactory for me and what I use the gun for.

Other people obviously feel differently, and that’s ok with me, it’s their money, they should buy whatever they want. But a few people (and this is not aimed at any specific person on the forum :surrender: ) seem insistent that if you don’t have a custom gun, you have a POS. There ARE POS production guns out there, but most of the production guns made by any of the big names in muzzleloading guns today are actually OK. Not great, but definitely OK.

Someone with a Hummer might tell you not to buy a Ford Escape, because the Hummer is so much better quality, wait until you can afford to buy the Hummer. It is better, I’ll agree. But the Escape does everything “I” need an SUV to do, and I’m perfectly happy with the Escape. So paying more money for “quality” that I don’t care about is a waste of money, TO ME.

I can look at some of the custom guns I’ve seen here, and other places, and say “Wow! That’s a nice gun!” WITHOUT also thinking “I wish I could get one like that”. If you’re not the kind of person who can do that, if you’re going to think “Man, I wish I had a gun like that!” every time you see a nice custom gun, then I absolutely agree that you’d be better served by waiting and getting a custom gun, new or used. Only you know about that.

I’ve had a number of production guns over the 30+ years since I started shooting black powder. They have overall been reliable, reasonably accurate guns. Reliable and reasonably accurate to MY standards, not to everyone’s, I’m sure. Only ever had a serious problem with one, a very cheap flintlock on which the lock broke after a few dozen shots, and for which replacement parts weren’t made, and that included no way to buy a complete replacement lock, not just the parts.

Historical accuracy is a different matter. I’m not concerned with historical accuracy very much so it’s not an issue for me, but if you’re interested in being historically accurate (which I understand means you have to pick a time and place to aim for) I think the production guns pretty much fall short, with a few possible exceptions, although there will be disputes there as well, depending on how historically accurate you want to be. (If you're not involved in the discussion about historical accuracy, it can be rather amusing to stay in the background and read some of the threads that develop on this issue, actually! :wink: )

Basically, my advise is to really think about what it is you want in a gun, but don’t discount the production guns out of hand.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

He wants a fowler or a Northwest trade gun. He plans to use it as a bird gun with the emphasis on turkey hunting. I don't know of too many production guns that fit these parameters. There is the Pedersoli trade musket, but it gets very mixed reviews. It is considered to be way overpriced and of iffy quality. One lucky owner had to replace a mainspring, a frizzen spring and a frizzen after a year of use. The lock geometry, to state the obvious, is off a bit. Anyway, it would seem that a used gun or a good kit would be the way to go in this case. The requirements of wingshooting are such that sticking a smoothbore barrel on a stock designed for a different type of shooting gives you a poor gun indeed.

I would like a somewhat historically accurate gun for the NW fur trade. Mainly because I don't have a ton of money and if I'm going to spend it I might as well get a gun that I can take everywhere. I don't want a gun that's too modern and looks out of place at any rondy. That's the main pull for why I wanted a NW trade gun. I also think they're a thing of beauty!
PS don't tell my car I said this- she can never know.

Scouter

A NW Trade Gun will definitly fit in at redezvous. They also shoot RB quite well out to 50 yards which is usually the range I take deer even out here in the wide open spaces.

The Trade Gun kits are about the easiest to built. They are simple pieces and were designed to be built fast and put on the market ASAP. TOW's parts run about $575. A little more if you want them to put on the underlugs and sight. I looked at North Star West and their kits run about $150 more. Either one will give you a set of quality parts to built with.

Oh good, I was looking at both of those but wasn't sure if they were good. I guess I now have a goal to aim for. Maybe if I get that 600.00 the govt is planning on giving low income people like myself I'll get a kit.
Thanks for everything,
scouter

You might want to look at Sitting Fox. I have shot several of his kits. And just ordered my own from him. Gunn
AUT PAX AUT BELLUM

Latest posts

Back