• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What the heck

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What is going on with the drum on this rifle? Looks kinda like a plumbing fixture. Are the three holes vent holes? I hope not. Never seen one like this before.

1706201832287.png

Pik is kinda fuzzy so, hard to tell. But it looks to me like they took some kind'a little doodad & made a spacer for a too long "clean-out" screw.

I've heard of venting percussion rifles by boring a small hole, either in the side of the drum, facing away from the shooter (gas is ejected forward and slightly up), or through the middle of the cleanout screw, so gas is ejected out to the side, as on a flintlock. I think this would reduce compressed air while loading, but it seems you would lose some energy in shooting.

I've never seen a drum done like that. I think the first thing to do is to get a properly sized gunsmith screwdriver and remove the cleanout screw, just to see what you find. It might very well be a spacer for a too-long screw, as @TechMoron suggested. If that's the case, fit a shorter screw and get rid of that weird spacer. At any rate, you'll have a better idea of what's going on. Maybe also straighten a Gem clip and probe those little holes to see how deep they go.

As for the trigger, I enjoyed some of the comments above, especially the "double-tap" remark, but honestly I've never seen anything like it. Is it just a perforated trigger, or part of an assembly with adjustments? Some sort of "tactical joke?"

I don't know what to make of it. I'd have that rifle on my workbench taking it apart at the first opportunity, just to find out what's up with that drum and trigger. I would not remove the drum from the barrel, though. That looks like a CVA or Traditions rifle, and they had a unique breeching system. It looks like a traditional breech setup, but it isn't. The drum and breechplug need to stay in the barrel. No problem with removing the cleanout screw, though.

Looks like the front lock bolt is missing, too. It may not be absolutely necessary for holding the lock, but it does support the ramrod retention spring in CVA rifles. you can probably get a replacement bolt and spring from Deer Creek.

Please let us know what you find.

Notchy Bob

I've heard of venting percussion rifles by boring a small hole, either in the side of the drum, facing away from the shooter (gas is ejected forward and slightly up), or through the middle of the cleanout screw, so gas is ejected out to the side, as on a flintlock. I think this would reduce compressed air while loading, but it seems you would lose some energy in shooting.

I've never seen a drum done like that. I think the first thing to do is to get a properly sized gunsmith screwdriver and remove the cleanout screw, just to see what you find. It might very well be a spacer for a too-long screw, as @TechMoron suggested. If that's the case, fit a shorter screw and get rid of that weird spacer. At any rate, you'll have a better idea of what's going on. Maybe also straighten a Gem clip and probe those little holes to see how deep they go.

As for the trigger, I enjoyed some of the comments above, especially the "double-tap" remark, but honestly I've never seen anything like it. Is it just a perforated trigger, or part of an assembly with adjustments? Some sort of "tactical joke?"

I don't know what to make of it. I'd have that rifle on my workbench taking it apart at the first opportunity, just to find out what's up with that drum and trigger. I would not remove the drum from the barrel, though. That looks like a CVA or Traditions rifle, and they had a unique breeching system. It looks like a traditional breech setup, but it isn't. The drum and breechplug need to stay in the barrel. No problem with removing the cleanout screw, though.

Looks like the front lock bolt is missing, too. It may not be absolutely necessary for holding the lock, but it does support the ramrod retention spring in CVA rifles. you can probably get a replacement bolt and spring from Deer Creek.

Please let us know what you find.

Notchy Bob
got a dumb question. would it be safer to shoot first time with sand bags on it and a string on the trigger. im just asking. not trying to be smart butt. da g that scares me lol

i blew up the picture until i could tell that the drum is one piece. still think the holes were for tightening it with a spanner.
interesting piece regardless.
wonder about missing front lock bolt.
should you take that lock off show the inside if you can. it looks exactly like my cva mountain rifle lock, but the insides will tell.
ps that drum reminds me of a co2 bottle for a pellet gun. who knows?

got a dumb question. would it be safer to shoot first time with sand bags on it and a string on the trigger. im just asking. not trying to be smart butt. da g that scares me lol
Yeah, I think that's what the holes in the trigger are for. The string. One, two or three pound pull. Your choice.
But maybe the hole were an attempt to make it a "Featherweight". Early "Accutrigger" ? SW

Back