• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What need I look out for?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Blackburn

40 Cal.
Reaction score
OK, I finally got a flintlock! That only took me 18 years.....

Thompson Center Hawken, .54 caliber. Kit gun (used). I've just now ordered some shooting and cleaning supplies from the Possibles Shop. I have alread about 1.5 pounds of FFF Goex powder I bought about 1998.

What need I be aware of?

I'm going to try .530 Hornady balls....will my .50 patches work?

The biggest thing on my list is good flints. Lotta debate about what is and what isn't with flints, but you'll sure find the difference in a hurry. I've had good luck with these, but there are other varieties folks are proud of too.

BrownBear is right about using good flints. The Tom Fuller English flints he referenced are good. I got mine from Track of the Wolf. Another popular flint comes from Rich Pierce. I used both, and they are reliable. I get more shots from the Pierce flints in my rifles. YMMV.

Two other suggestions. Read the Tips postings at the top of this subforum. There's a ton of information. The other is to use a vent pick every time before priming the lock. Keeping that vent channel clear minimizes the flash in the pan numbers for me.

Please keep us apprised of your shooting. I use all forms of black powder guns, including cartridges, but flinters are my favorite BP firearms.

Jeff

Well guys thanks! I am pretty excited about this. I went ahead and ordered Hornady .530 balls and an English flint from Possibles Shop today. I'll send my money order off for the rifle tomorrow.

I might also be able to snag an unfired .58 caliber Renegade....what price might I expect?

Greg

58 cal.Renegade will set you back a few bucks, if it is a GM drop in barrel. Factory barrel are getting hard to find and command a good price also.
Stole my T. C.Big Bore 58 Cal rifle for $ 149.00.

Last edited by a moderator:
I paid $400 for my first Big Boar, well used but well cared for. And I was proud to get it. About a month later I found another NIB for $300. That made me even prouder, and I've since given it to my son-in-law. I'd say my first one was pretty normal, while the second was an exceptional deal.

I always thought that, until Vearl got his. Now that was a SCORE! :thumbsup:

I might also be able to snag an unfired .58 caliber Renegade....what price might I expect?

You are not going to find one for $149 bucks. At least I never find deals like that. The person selling it has got to have no idea what he has.
I am going to say $300 up!

To make is easy for you:
Black English flints
Leather wraps (1/8" thick)
4f GOEX prime 2/3rd pan full
New TC touch hole liner.

Here is how I (always) cleaned my CVA Bobcat:

At the range: after each shot, swab bore with soapy wet patch then a dry patch.

After range or shooting trip. As soon as I got home, take out barrel with nipple installed and run hot soapy water into a bucket. Use ramrod and pump water through nipple for 10 minutes or so. Take out nipple and clean out screw. Continue to pump the hot, soapy water for 5 minutes or so. Remove nipple and whipe down. Set aside. Run new hot, clear water and pump it for 5 minutes. Remove barrel and whipe off fouling around clean out drum. Dry bore with several dry patches. Take barrel over and blow dry with hair dryer till hot. Let cool. Whipe off nipple and screw, blow dry. Whipe all metal down with Bore Butter and drop several drops of Rem Oil on TC adjustable sight (I had it put on).

How was that?

Rifle is 18 years old and still looks new.

I'd been meaning to sell it, anyone interested?

Greg

10 ring,
Got 5 of them here right now, keep them for the kids and loaners, and haven't paid more than $75 for any of them. Great little guns for the money and plenty accurate.
Mark

Now that was a nice boom of thunder! Cell must be directly overhead! How fitting!

$75? I'd like to get $100.00 out of time, what with the TC sights, musket nipple, and all the accessories I was throwing in.

But anyway....

As for the coming .54....I've bought up about everything I think I'll need to get it running. All I lack now is FF and FFFF powder.

Greg

54 cal. Thompson center flintlock, 50gr. of 2FF over a .020 patch, I use wonder lube..have killed many deer and such with this rifle and load, got the gun back in the late 70s..my first muzzleloader, had many since then, all sold now except that good old faithful 54. cal..small english flints work best..many people make the mistake you need a heavy load to kill deer with, hogwash, you just have to be close and a darn good shot. :thumbsup:

Back