• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What kind of stuff do you all read?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The older I get, the shorter my attention span gets. Mostly read magazines lately or looking something up in one of my blacksmithing books for something in the forge.
Don’t know your age, but at 73 I rarely pay attention to length of book if I am interested in content. The Fur Trade books were about 1000 pages total. Learned a lot I had never seen or heard before.

One fun thing that happens when your sharp memory dulls , you can reread all the books in your library you forgot you have. I write a date in the blank first page , so I don't reread something I read w/in two years.

To be honest, I have never been interested in novel's or fiction. Most of my reading was about history, especially the wars since the AWI on U.S. soil, along with WWI, WWII and Korea. I started War and Peace in 1965, still haven't finished it. Now my wife is an avid reader, you name it and I bet she has read it. When I was on the PD I would listen to audio books on tape mostly about the old west while on patrol.

Just curious what taste every one has when it comes to reading material?
I am not a huge magazine reader simply due to the boring stuff and mostly advertisement stuff in them. They can be good for pictures though to look at and day dream, but usually the writing sucks LOL.
I've pretty much destroyed the book department and am looking for "new" authors that write decent about the mountain man era. I've gone through so many books by various authors, including one writer that has a 70+ book series, that it's getting super hard to find new material to enjoy.
I enjoy C.S. Forester, Dickens, Poe, David Webers Honor Harrington books, things in that vein.

I have been reading the apostolic fathers and have now moved onto the early church fathers. reading st. Augustine's confessions right now.

I really liked Patrick OBrian's Aubrey-Maturin series (about naval warfare during Napoleonic Wars). Anything by Bernard Cornwell (author of the Sharpe books later made into a TV series, a series on 10th century Saxons in Britain, and the Grail series about English archers in the Hundred Years War).

I have a short list, besides journals of those who was there, I also enjoy reading the great stories from James Fenimore Cooper, Walden is my favorite by David Henry Thoreau, Call of the Wild and White Fang Jack London, the poems of Whitman. Those are just a few

Historical fiction, mostly 16th - 17th Century sea novels as in fighting ships of that era. Based on years of reading such stuff I tried my hand at a novel. Although I've never been aboard any of the replica vessels, months of research made the effort worth while. Published as a hard cover, the title is Inherited Shame. My resource for novels is an Amazon Kindle, an electronic reader. Lordy, they have an unbelievably huge library, anything one might imagine.

While I will occasionally grab an historical non-fiction or a reference for one of my many hobbies, I primarily enjoy SciFi and Epic Fantasy. In the past few years my "Library" has switched to being mostly audio books that I listen to at work.

We're all different, I gave up on fiction except for science fiction, which is far enough out that I don't get it confused with facts. I definitely don't read anything that's fictionalized about the Bible, I don't need to get that confused with the real Bible or even those darn movies that are based on happenings in the Bible but don't tell it the way it happened. Enjoy lots of magazines, specially biblical archaeology and straight archaeology. Gave up on most of the hunting magazines, got tired of reading about other people hunts. I Too am a lifetime NRA. Will be 85 in three months, and at this stage in life, I could read the same book I received five years ago or less and it would still be all new.
Squint

We're all different, I gave up on fiction except for science fiction, which is far enough out that I don't get it confused with facts. I definitely don't read anything that's fictionalized about the Bible, I don't need to get that confused with the real Bible or even those darn movies that are based on happenings in the Bible but don't tell it the way it happened. Enjoy lots of magazines, specially biblical archaeology and straight archaeology. Gave up on most of the hunting magazines, got tired of reading about other people hunts. I Too am a lifetime NRA. Will be 85 in three months, and at this stage in life, I could read the same book I received five years ago or less and it would still be all new.
Squint

Currently reading "Quantum Radio" by A.G. Riddle (my current fave Sci-Fi author) on my Kindle app.

Sci-Fi and historical fiction are my go-to genres.

No sr, scripture presented as fiction is seldom accurate. Liberties are taken to make nbooks and movies into what is thought to be more interesting. Not for me; I'll not dishonor my Savior by indulging in supposedly Christian material that deviates from His truths.

I also enjoy reading the book and then seeing the movie or visa versa. I like to get a visual of the book scenes. I did that with "The English Patient" and "Out of Africa" specifically.

I read "Boys in the Boat" so I'll have to watch the movie now.

Got 4 new books for Christmas that fit my main interest. I’ve finished 2 so far. The books on the Creek wars are really interesting, seems this period gets overlooked often and it was as bloody a time as any in history.

Attachments

• IMG_3156.jpeg
    IMG_3156.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3170.jpeg
    IMG_3170.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3171.jpeg
    IMG_3171.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Back