• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is your favorite patch material?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dutch Schoultz said:
Think of Teflon Patching the same way you would consider any other pre-lubed patching, Teflon for slickness and the cloth for thickness.
As I said before, if they work for you stick with it. It is a little known fact that Davy Crockett was in San Antonio looking for Teflon patching on Daniel Boone's recommendation./

Dutch Schoultz

:thumbsup: :rotf: :rotf: :haha:
My dear Sir , your whimsical addendum is much appreciated!
May it always be thus .
:hatsoff:

My whimsical comment about Crockett and Boone was in bad taste.
Every I've or so years there is a hooHah and furor about Teflon coated, or sprayed on cloth for shooting patches and then it quickly fades away. I have witnessed three or so of these bursts and always add that it it works for you, stick with it
There was no call for my smarts remark and I apologize to one and all who my have been offended
You know how cranky old people are and I am apparently learning how to be ones,

Peace.

Dutch Schoultz

Your apology is totally unnecessary Dutch. There are MANY comments like yours and they are actually APPRECIATED by many of us, who cant use a little humor in their day in 2018? Those that dont need any humor and smack at the most "mature" members here have got issues way beyond what we can help them with (maybe they need marital counseling or to attend a self help group meeting?)

I would guess your posts are appreciated by 90% of us members 98% of the time. PRETTY GOOD RATIO I'd say?

Consider the source and don't fret it my friend!

Now plan out the next nurse pinching and carry on!

I really prefer Eastern Maine Shooting Supply .015 linen patches I get from TOW. Very good groupings and very consistent shot to shot. I like the way they hold TOW's mink oil as patch lube in both my .50 cal. GPR and my .50 Renegade.

I still remember one day when an old boy showed up to shoot at the club with his .58 Springfield....And gave us all a lesson.
As one of the quieter members replaced him on the line, he said to him, "you should pick those up before someone trips over them" referring to his spent winged musket caps laying on the ground.....

No one else shot a musket....You had to be there....but it was funny..... :haha:

Hobby stores, and/or thrift stores also carry assorted fabrics......

my guns each seem to have a favorite patching material / thickness for best consistent accuracy.

.45 (actually .46) cal. 1975 Jukar Ky. rifle likes .454 rb & .010 pillow ticking.
Pedersoli .50 Ky rifle =.490 rb & cotton diaper patch
Pedersoli .50 Ky pistol =.490 rb & cotton bed sheet (thin) patching
CVA .50 Plainsman =.490 rb & .015 ticking OR 2 layers of diaper patching
T/C .50 Hawken liked .490 rb & .010 ticking

I dearly wish that 1 thickness would satisfy all.....

I get linen from a locally owned fabric store which incidentally caters to quilters. Whenever I go there looking for linen to make a new shirt, or some such thing, I purchase a little extra to use as shooting patch material. And yeah, I've been known to take a caliper with me to measure the fabric thickness.

Colorado Clyde said:
I still remember one day when an old boy showed up to shoot at the club with his .58 Springfield....And gave us all a lesson.
As one of the quieter members replaced him on the line, he said to him, "you should pick those up before someone trips over them" referring to his spent winged musket caps laying on the ground.....

No one else shot a musket....You had to be there....but it was funny..... :haha:

In that same vein, I have a sneaky thing I sometimes do to shut up braggarts. I have seen times at ranges where a guy shooting a .54 or musket .58 will heckle shooters with their "tiny" .40s or .45s. When I see this I'll wait until between relays and the big ball braggart walks away. Then I'll quietly walk over and set a .731" Brown Bess punkin' ball on top of his muzzle and leave it. The look on their face when they return is precious. And, no more heckling the smaller caliber guys. And, yes, I can be evil. :stir:

Mr Eames ... I have always experienced Dutch as a good natured, friendly and helpful gentleman, who goes out of his way to help out anyone who could benefit of his expansive knowledge. When I saw his contested post I only saw the humor of it as most of the other people here on the forum recognized it. I feel that your reaction was harsh and uncalled for. As a foreigner I may not always fully understand all the sensitivities of your language but I certainly did recognize mr. Shoult's post as humor ... you should try it once...

And to return on topic ... I can only shoot in competition, since hunting with the holy black is illegal around here, and hunting in general scarce in our overcrowded good ol'Europe... But the best patching material I know, I buy from Jeff Tanner in England, who is specialized in competition grade material ... He goes out of his way to measure the quality, equality in thickness, of his material. There are many serious competition shooters that use his material.

Rifleman1776 said:
Colorado Clyde said:

In that same vein, I have a sneaky thing I sometimes do to shut up braggarts. I have seen times at ranges where a guy shooting a .54 or musket .58 will heckle shooters with their "tiny" .40s or .45s. When I see this I'll wait until between relays and the big ball braggart walks away. Then I'll quietly walk over and set a .731" Brown Bess punkin' ball on top of his muzzle and leave it. The look on their face when they return is precious. And, no more heckling the smaller caliber guys. And, yes, I can be evil. :stir:

You need balls to do that kind of thing .
Big balls.
:haha:

Dutch used humor even when teaching at Washington Univ. here in St. louis.
When he is terrified in hospitals, more frequently of late, he is funnier than anything because it is his defense mechanism. He is frequently accused of being a professional comedian. The two cartoons in his book were drawn by a man who was planning on doing a comic strip based on his general conversation
Sometimes he can be a complete jerk.
Mr. Eames sensed that he was making fun of people for using modern stuff instead of the tried and true old materials of his System, forgetting that ballistol and/or water soluble oil was need extant in Boone'sad crocketts time frame.
Actually he was just trying to be funny.
He immediately realized that hnhe had done a stupid thing in appearing to ridicule the Teflon product.
He wishes that everyone regarded his remarks as bing meant in humor and not as ridicule.
I am something of an expert of Dutch's actions and thought process because he is me and I would love to shelve this subject.

I have a photograph of my Dcottish cartoonist waving at the camera while standin mostly below a deer that stands about 20 feet tall at the shoulder and a few feet taller at the he head but don;t know how attcha picture to one of these posts. I cjeckrd this morning and verified that the photo has not been touch with or pasted together.

If someone who knows how to do thee photo thing will contact me at

[email protected].

I will send him, (her or evenIt) the photo to be handed on to the amazed congregation of the Forum.

Dutch Schoultz

dodger said:
Rifleman1776 said:
Colorado Clyde said:

You need balls to do that kind of thing .
Big balls.
:haha:

This guy was a former club member and something of a Guru....I tell ya, when every one is use to No.11 caps, seeing a winged musket cap on the ground is like looking at a soda can.
He showed up to our silhouette shoot. When guys using .32's and .36's would shoot everyone had to listen carefully for the hit. Guys using bigger calibers would wiggle and shake the silhouette
This guy was using mine balls.....When he shot the first silhouette....It picked it up and threw it 2 1/2 -3 feet in the air. :shocked2: A blind man could call his shots. :haha:

Latest posts

Back