• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is this gun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps some sort of tape residue? Does the patchbox latch well?

If you see in that one picture with the patchbox open, it has a spring board location that holds it back or open. The patchbox stays closed pretty well, but im no expert.

As to the letters on the top flat, do a pencil rub on paper over the lettering to see it much better. DO NOT polish the top flat OFF to remove crud that is obscuring the letters!

Thanks again for the tips! It is definitely N. Clark. I did a rubbing and recreated the letters. Here's a pic. Is this the original owner? Who else would put there name on it, but then again...its not like they had engravers back then. Could this be the gunsmith's signature?

100_2992.jpg

The builder usually puts his name on the top flat, and most custom M/L gun makers still do to this day.

As Texcl says, it was traditional for custom rifle builders to put their name on that top flat. I have seen some guns with the owner's name ALSO on the top flat, but I don't recall seeing a gun with just the owner's name on the top flat, unless he was also the builder.

You might do some research on "N. Clark" to see if you can locate him historically.

Nice gun.

the log cabin shop in lodi ohio has tons of documented ohio built original longrifles in their museum. Maybe Oz or Rick can help you in identifying the builder.
Great lookin gun BTW!

The book, "AMERICAN GUN MAKERS" by L.D.Satterlee and Arcadi Gluckman, OTTO ULBRICH CO., Inc Buffralo, N.Y. 1945 lists a "CLARK, N.-Pennsylvania, percussion period." as a gunmaker.

There's a good chance that he made your gun.

The book, "AMERICAN GUN MAKERS" by L.D.Satterlee and Arcadi Gluckman, OTTO ULBRICH CO., Inc Buffralo, N.Y. 1945 lists a "CLARK, N.-Pennsylvania, percussion period." as a gunmaker.

Is that all it says Zonie? Nothing about where he lived and what time period?

The Assoc. of Ohio Long Rifle Collectors site lists a Nelson Clark, who worked in Montgomery & Warren counties, but gives no time period.

my book list's nelson clark.miamisburg,montgomery co. ohio years 1848-54
thats all gardner small arms maker sais.
this is what my gunsmiths of ohio 18th and 19 centuries book sais.

clark, nelson 1801 - 1859
born in new york state.died in miamisburg , augest 8th .lived on the white river in indiana as a boy moved to lebanon ohio, about 1822 and learned gunsmithing.in 1825 he located in miamisburg, built brick house at head of main st.and manufactured guns. his rifle known throughout the west, the n. clark rifle.

a note. an n, clark mark has been reported on a rifle .this may be a clark barrel on a ruff stock . muzzle blast augest 1964
what that has to do with it , dont know , but it was in the book .
hope this helps . hoot

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoot, you wouldn't be from the ~Rt. 70 area would you.
Great Ohia' Rabbit Hunt....? :grin:
R

clark, nelson 1801 - 1859
born in new york state.died in miamisburg , augest 8th .lived on the white river in indiana as a boy moved to lebanon ohio, about 1822 and learned gunsmithing.in 1825 he located in miamisburg, built brick house at head of main st.and manufactured guns. his rifle known throughout the west, the n. clark rifle.

Wow! That was some rough country in those days. Simon Kenton, Shawnee driven out. I loved that book "The Frontiersman". Lot of history in Ohio. All of this is great! Thanks guys! I wish I would have gotten on here a long time ago. I wont lie though. I'm kinda disappointed this gun is from a Buckeye. :shocked2: Me being a Penn State fan and all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope I didn't offend anybody. This thread kinda died. I'm still looking up information on this rifle if anyone has anything else to add.

Klaw,
Pack up your rifle and come down to Marietta in April. The Ohio Longrifle Collectors will be there the first full weekend in April and you can get all the information you can digest on N Clark. Might even be another one to look at. Go to our site "aolrc.org" for the times and dates.
Mark

Good news! I have been in contact with a gentleman in Miamisburg Oh, who is a volunteer for their historical society. He has sent me some very interesting info on Nelson Clark. I thought I would share it with everyone, since the rubbing off of the gun that is on loan to their museum is in my opinion identical to one in my possession. I am without a doubt not a professional but, I am 99 percent sure this rifle was made by him. The gentleman from Ohio also sent me a bio on Nelson Clark from The History of Montgomery Co. written and published in 1882 by the Beers & Company. I wont get into much detail, but he started his trade in 1825 in Miamisburg Oh. and married in 1828 and had two daughters. He also lived here until his death in 1859. He was 58 years old. He was a natural botanist, practical chemist, an inventor, a musician, and a fair German scholar. He learned his trade in Lebanon, Warren County OH. at around the age of twenty-one. The entire weapon he made out of rough iron and steel, The N. Clark rifle an arm familiarly known throughout the west. There's also a picture of his house sent with the package that still stands today. There is an addition on the left side of his house that is believed to be his gun shop. I really need to get this gun cleaned up and it just may make it back to Miamisburg. I think that would have made dad very happy. Unless I feel a hard slap tonight in the middle of the night. I posted this on another website also, and want to see any responses. By the way, this gun will stay in the family, and not be sold. On loan at a museum possibly? Go ahead and hit me with your comments either good or bad. I'm ex-military and my mother was a farmer.

I would not clean it, or restore it! I would leave it in it's current state. Many rookies want to grab a piece of history, and strip the stocks, polish the brass, and barrels etc.....

I would make sure to not remove well deserved patina! You should scrub the bore, and clean and lube the inside of the lock.

The best thing for this rifle air conditioned storage! It really needs nothing, and will really maintain A higher value being left alone.

I really enjoyed the pics, and you establishing a provenance!

:thumbsup:

Mule Deer is correct. As long as you are talking to someone who deals with antiques, talk to him about the best way to preserve your gun. I would use a DAMP- not wet-- cloth with soap and water to wipe off the dust and debris from the stock and parts. Then, I would oil the metal parts lightly. I would take the lock out of the stock, to oil the inside parts. But, other than maintaining its functions, I would do nothing more. NO POLISHING :idunno: , no Rubbing off Rust with steel wool or any other abrasive :shocked2: :youcrazy: . No refinishing the stock! :shocked2: :nono:

Oh, if you haven't checked the barrel to see if its got a load, or partial load in it, I would do that, and remove the obstruction. Some of these guns were loaded with powder and a wad, but left without a ball or shot in the barrels. That allowed the owner to quickly load whatever he wanted to fire, and shoot the gun faster, while leaving it relatively safe in the house "semi-loaded".

I am glad you found all that information on N. Clark. Its always frustrating to have a UNmarked gun that you can't trace back to the maker. Thanks for posting it here. It may come of use to some future member who wants information on another Clark gun. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the tips guys and thanks to all who have contributed! The gun is not loaded :hatsoff:

Back