• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is this gonne?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Musketeer

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I was going through my folder of gonne pics, and I came across this one:

5084827147_6305b4acf6_z_zps84f8296e.jpg

The rear lashing point looks kind of similar to the tangs on the old Dutch gonnes I've seen, but I've never seen another gonne or hand cannon mounted to a pistol-esque stock like this. A genuine antique gonne of some sort I'm just not familiar with? An antique gonne mounted to a stock by some misguided dude during the "medieval craze" of the Victorian Era? A full-on fake by the same guy? Perhaps some Asian style gonne? :hmm:

I don't recall where I found the original pic, and I'm not having much luck re-finding it.

In any case, it looks like it'd be fun to make and try one out.

Claude said:
It looks like something someone put together recently and applied a nice aging job. :confused:

That's one possibility I left out, but that could well be the case.

Clyde, I sure wouldn't shoot something like that with just braided leather (or rattan, or whatever it is) straps holding it together, but something with a similar shaped stock and steel bands might be kinda fun to play around with. :thumbsup:

I think that is the original gonne and it explains how the name came about.

"Yes my lord." I was standing here and Master Timothy was holding it in his hand.

He said, "Hold my ale and watch this."

"I did as he bid and he pointed the object at yonder tree whilst touching a match to the top of it.

There was a tremendous roar with sparks and fire and smoke with the smell of brimstone and before my very eyes both he and the object disappeared!

Perhaps the name he called the object will explain.

He called it a GONE!"

:rotf:

wulf said:
Filipino against the Japanese WW11

That sounds possible. Any sources for this info? :hmm: I know the Vietnamese used some really medieval-looking crossbows of their own design during out involvement there in the 60's (look up "montagnard crossbow" for some examples), so that's why I included the possibility it could be of some Asian origin.

Back