• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is the Grouseland Rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonKenton

50 Cal.
Reaction score
It looks very PA in design but is a percussion. Is it a very late Lancaster or some other school? Any idea on the specs?

Ray

???

Not familiar with a "Grouseland" rifle. Images?

If it's the John Small rifle (two below) it isn't much Lancaster-like at all.

Grouseland-Rilfe.jpg

grouseland-front-side-full.jpg

Yup, by John Small of Vincennes, Indiana! It just became Indiana's "official" rifle. It started out as a flintlock and was converted at some point. John Small died around 1823.

I believe he was trained in Lancaster County. I've got a near-copy of what they call the "Girty Rifle" in the book that was just published about him two years ago. It's just about ready to ship to me and I'm bouncing off the walls.

Full-length.jpg

top-bottom-signatureinlays-ventpich.jpg

Indiana couldn't have made a better choice than a rifle built by John Small.A true renaissance man on the Wabash.I have the book you mention,he was amazing and versitile,excelling in everything he put his hand to.

Back