• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is it ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Adams

36 Cal.
Reaction score
The other day I found a Thompson Center .50 cal. that looks like a Hawkin. It's an older gun no warnings on the barrel... Instead of the normal nipple for 11 caps there is a nipple with a screw on cap that contains what looks like a firing pin. I tried a couple of 11 caps and no bang. Is this an eraly 209 type nipple? or what. Cannot put pictures up yet. Any help would be great.

I don't believe TC sold the rifle with the modified nipple , but if you look in an older DGW Cat. there is a unit that uses center fire primers that screws in place of the factory nipple. :hmm: This increased the intensity of the ignition flame and also waterproofed the flame channel . When you say , No Warnings , are you referring to " Black Powder Only" Read the manual before using ??? :hmm: :thumbsup:

Probably is an early T/C Hawken.

You should be able to just screw in a regular nipple and use #11 caps. That's what I would do. I don't see the need for the extra time, trouble, and expense of using the CF primers. #11 caps work just fine for me when I do my part.

To post pics, you need to get an account at an on-line photo-hosting site. Then you use the URL for your pics to get them here. Sounds more complicated than it really is.
Many members here, myself included, use www.photobucket.com as a photo-hosting site. It is a free account. Load your pic there, copy the bottom one off the drop-down menu for your pic, then paste it in your post here. Easy as pie. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Some years ago someone marketed an adapter that sounds like what you have. The screw off collar was removed and a small center fire rifle primer was placed in the recess then the collar and little firing pin replaced and the rifle was ready to fire in the normal manner.

Yeah, I remember those. I always thought that it was just another small part to get lost and render the gun useless until another part or nipple could be found. Now I am mostly using flintlocks and see even less need for that contraption.

Yes that is exactly what it looks like and will try a primer in it. Just tried it and that is what it is. Thanks to everyone. By the way it did go bang and was easy to remove.

There used to be a fair demand for those primer devices, back in the 70's, as it helped make a muzzle-loader more rain-proof - a consideration in a state that had a 3 or 4 day ML season at the time.

IIRC, the brand name was Accra-something - but I could be misremembering.

I like those old doodads, if you don't want it send it to me and I'll trade you some #11 nipples for it. :grin:

Back