• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what is considered a good collection of BP revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I like the shorter barrel guns like the Pietta Marshal. For me it balances better that either the 1860 Army ir the 1861 navy with the barrel out there.
I am not interested in period correct just fun guns to shoot so most of my C&B guns are of the short barrel variety.
Get what you like and is comfortable to you. My Walker is long gone it was no fun for me to shoot and I shoot a lot.
respectfully
Bunk
I agree with you about the longer barrels, however, the two I bought to put under the hacksaw are still intact... I just can’t bring myself to do it! 1860’s are just beautiful!
37327F5B-87E2-47DE-A8D2-A41E93B299D2.jpeg

A collection to me would be one of each type made of a single issue, i.e. Remington 1858.

Uberit offers the pistol in numerous finishes and different sight configuration. They also 2 different calibers and different barrel lengths.

Taylor's offers 1858's through their buying program from Uberti that Uberti does not offer on the open market through their distributors. The offer the Black Rock which is a finish that resisting rusting. They offer the charcoal blue which changes color with age. Also offered is the steel frame, stainless, checkered grips, case hardened, brass nickel engraved, brass framed and General Custer engraved.

Well I guess here is a start of a collection and that fluted cylinder is the Colt 4th Model Dragoon I am building to honor Col. Colt.
Needless to say I like short barrel guns. From the left top a Pietta .44 caliber DLX Marshal, Pietta replica of the Capt. Schaeffer presentation 1851 Navy .36 caliber, Pietta 1851 Navy .44 caliber, and a Pietta 1861 in .44 caliber.
Each one is one of a pair. Why? I have two hands of course.
Respectfully Submitted
Bunk
figgered it out Jim, thanks

IMHO, you "need" ;) at least one Confederate Colt 1851 Navy .36 "copy".

These are my Piettas:

Augusta Machine Works with a 12-stop-slot plain cylinder.

Leech & Rigdon and Schneider & Glassick.

1862 J.H. Dance & Brothers.

Rigdon & Ansley and Griswold & Gunnison.

The G&G is currently marketed while the Dance was a one-year run (1996). The rest are parts guns. The only thing not available is the 12-stop-slot cylinder which I had my machinist next-door neighbor mill 6 extra stop slots/approaches using two plain cylinders with no safety pins. All parts are Pietta manufacture.

This is my avatar with the Dance and R&A. Not politically correct these days but refers to the era when the originals were made.

Regards,

Jim
Hooray for the flag!

Obviously I do not have a good collection of BP revolvers
Do not have a Walker although I had one, shot it, did not like it and got rid of it.
Do not have a Remington anything they are ugly (to me) do not like them.
there is a third model Dragoon that is under construction with a fluted cylinder.
Have examples of Colt open tops from 1851 to 1862.
Have a few fantasy guns like snubby 1851 Navy in .44 caliber
My revolvers are all match conditioned shooting guns with the exception of an ancient Dixie Gun Works 1851 Navy that dates back to DuPont powder and corrosive caps..
They all please me and they all get shot from time to time. No safe queens.
Load 'em heavy boys
they air 'a comin'
Bunk

Obviously I do not have a good collection of BP revolvers.

IMO, obviously you do have a good starter collection. You will eventually want to concentrate upon certain types of revolvers in which you are partial. You will sell or trade off what you don't want and acquire others that more pertain to your fancy. I have done that many times as my penchant is Confederate replicas, whether I can acquire them or have to build them as parts guns. That is my affliction.

Do not have a Remington anything they are ugly (to me) do not like them.

Neither do I. I have shot a cylinder full from one. I don't find them "ugly" but I don't like the way the grip assembly fits the hand compared to the Colt 1851 Navy/1860 Army or the SAA .44-40/.45, which basically has the 1851 Navy grip.

In any event, it is always a matter of personal preference.

Regards

Jim

I acquire only the types of revolvers that I like to shoot. In the armory are guns that actually existed 1851 Navy .36 caliber, 1860 Army .44 caliber. 1861 Navy .36 caliber and one lonely 1962 Police .36 caliber.
The other guns are fantasy guns that never existed mostly in .44 caliber but it is a compilation of shooters not a display of various models or anything like that.
I have no interest in that sort of thing.
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

Back