• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What game do you hunt? Especially for members in other nations.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice pictures! Makes the thread much more interesting!

We also have coyote, cougar, javalina, white tail & mule deer, turkey, quail, doves . . . in my area of AZ . . .

Hello from Germany!

As Baikal mentioned the german hunting law doesn't forbid the use of ML at all, so less restrictions as for cartridge guns. That is fine! :grin: For my part I got several roedeer, redfox and some birds. I agree with others that in our dense populated country the use of a ML with a low energy PRB is much more safe than these high vel. cartridges, especially while our average hunting distance is 60-80m. So no need to put the 3000 joules of a .308 on a roedeer at this range :shake: when a .50 PRB with 800 J does the job the same way or even better.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Here in Washington state me and my buddies hunt for the Columbia Blacktail deer. The only place in the world in which they are found is on the west side of the cascade mountians from northern california to southern alaska. They are a subspecies of the mule deer, really small, and very spooked. The native americans used to call them "ghosts" since they are really elusive. I guess in northern california they're starting to cross breed with the white tail. A hard deer to hunt since they don't follow daily patterns like white tail and elk do. They're pretty nomadic and not usually found in herds during the rut. I have yet to shoot one but have killed three with my semi truck.

Sean Kelly

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

in Canada I hunt moose, whitetail deer,black bear,coyotes,turkeys,grouse,phesants,wood cock,ducks, geese, cotton tails,jack rabits,squirels and fox

not any different than what you get in some states.

Here in UT I use my ML most often for Mule Deer. I do hunt elk occasionally with ML, but mostly bow.

Here in CO, we have Mule Deer, Whitetail Deer, Elk, Black Bear, Mountain Goat, Desert Bighorn Sheep, Bighorn Sheep, Mountain Lion and Pronghorn Antelope in the big game dept. Small game we have Blue Grouse, Jackrabbits, Cottontails, Snowshoe Hare, pheasant, dove, squirrels (Aberts, Pine and Fox squirrels), Marmot, Bobcat, Beaver, Pine Martin, Skunk, Crows, Coyotes, Ground Squirrels (Wyoming ground squirrels), Fox, Turkey, Ptarmigan... Probably missed a few too.

All of the above can be hunted with ML in their respective seasons. Getting a tag for either of the Sheep or a goat requires applying many times to build up preference points. I'm getting close on a sheep tag!!

Mostly the Deer, Elk and Antelope are the primary species of interest to local and out of state hunters including myself.

We are starting to see some feral pigs in the south east corner of the state along the Arkansas river. There are some exotics running loose in some parts of the state and are more or less shoot on sight if on public land, but not many are seen.

123.DieselBenz said:
What is a Stoat?

This may be off topic but I was reading about this earlier. Ermine pelts were worn on king's robes and prized specimens were worth crazy fortunes. They are a symbol of purity. Here there is an interesting engraving in this link. The other link is a portrait of Queen Victoria (the virgin queen) with a stoat on her arm. Off on a tangent again... sorry couldn't resist.
http://www.traditioninaction.org/religious/a012rp.ErmineChristmas2003htm.html
http://ansmagazine.com/files/Winter07/cab18.jpg

No stoats here but there are mink. My grandpa told me he shot one once while rabbit hunting and traded it for a sheepskin coat. I have seen signs of mink but never actually saw one but I did shoot a brown weasel once. We hunted for cottontail rabbits and would shoot a fox on occasion while hunting. Use to be worth a days pay. There are woodcock and snipe in these parts and bobwhite quail. Once in a while we would get a shot or two off at them too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here in Australia all the legally hunted game is introduced species, mostly over a century ago. Six species of deer ranging from smallest to largest - hog deer, fallow deer, chital deer, rusa deer, red deer, sambar deer. Wild pigs and goats, rabbits, foxes, dingoes are pretty much everywhere. Up north we have wild horses, cattle, donkeys, banteng and Asiatic buffalo. In the centre we have wild camels. I think that's about it. On top of that we have millions of kangaroos which most farmers are very greatful for us to shoot. Very little in the way of hunting regulations or seasons so you can pretty much hunt all year to your hearts content and shoot what you want. You would most likely run out of powder and ball before you ran out critters to shoot at. Strangely enough there is still a mainstream anti hunting sentiment though. A combination of a hugely urbanised population fed a steady diet of hollywood B.S.

I have only been in TX for about 4 yrs. I have hunted bobwhite,scalies, ducks, and whitetail deer. For a guy that grew up in Washington and lived in Montana for a time. TX is a desolate wasteland for hunting unless you have the money to pay for leases.

In Washington, I killed mule deer, whitetail, blacktail, elk, cougar and black bear with a muzzleloader. Game birds I shot with a muzzleloader (TOTW and Centermark Tulle Fusil De Chasse) ruffed, spruce, blue grouse, pheasant, chukar, huns, doves, ducks, geese, and valley quail. Gosh, I miss home.

We have a great group of guys who still do the traditional "deer camp" in the mountains of North Central PA. It's always late season after Christmas, no running water or electric and we have a ball.......it's "big woods" deer hunting so pretty much any whitetail is open game. :thumbsup:

camp.jpg

This year I picked up my first smoothbore and also plan to turkey hunt with it in a few weeks as well as rabbit/squirrel in the fall.

Good looking photo, how far you guys form Myersdale Pa. Which I think is in the southwest part of the state, been there it is nice deer country.

Hello from Germany!

Nice pic! :thumbsup: Could a guy from over the pond take part in such a deerhunting camp?

Regards

Kirrmeister

I live in Colorado which has a wide variety of game (as already pointed out by another poster). We also have more elk than any other state and 75% of all the land on the North American continent over 10,000 ft is here. However there is trouble in paradise.
Unless you are very wealthy and can hire outfitters, own your own LARGE piece of land, or know someone who does you are SOL.
Antelope: Takes about 8 years to get a rifle or ML tag. Bow tags are OTC but only in crappy areas with little to no public land and no water.
White tail deer: Only on the eastern plains which is 99% private land. good luck!
Elk: We do have otc tags for bulls, but only for crappy areas and also during deer season. Its like being out during Vietnam! Good luck!
Mule deer: same as elk.
Big horns & mtn goats: Takes about 6-8 years to get a tag. Then you have to wait 5 years before you can apply again, then the 6-8 years starts all over again. Better off to just go to AK.
Moose: takes 6-8 years and you only get one tag per lifetime. Just go to AK.
Mtn Lions: We have LOTS & LOTS of them. Tags are OTC. But you aint going to get one unless you can hire an outfitter with a pack of hounds. Good luck!
Black bears: We ahve LOTS and LOTS of them. The tags are OTC first come first served but you have to have a tag for another big game animal for the same season, unit, & method of take. No dogs, no bait, & no spring season. Its a waste of time. Better off to go to WV or PA.
Small game is plentiful and lots of fun though. However there is a small game lic. & a fur bearer lic. you have to make sure you have the right one. Also there are specific seasons for small game. For example, prairie dogs. When the season is depends on whether you are east or west of I-25 and whether or not you are on priavte land. Big pain.
These are some of the reasons I am moving to WY.

Back