• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do you prefer a single or a set trigger for hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidney Smith

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I prefer a double set trigger on my rifles, as I normally, especially when deer hunting , have time to set the trigger before I get off a shot. I'm installing a double set trigger on my squirrel rifle as well. I do like the option a double set trigger allows in case I don't get the chance to set the rear trigger that I can still squeeze off a shot. Now for shotguns I prefer simple single trigger as time usually doesn't allow one to set a trigger, point, then fire on a rising game bird. What say you?

On a rifle I prefer set triggers. Using them is second nature at this point and seems to happen automatically. My triggers are fairly light when set and shooting a buddy’s rifle this week end was a chore because it isn’t tuned at all. Match shooting or hunting is the same to me and requires precision placement of the shot. All sorts of game from bears to bunny’s have been taken with setting the trigger.

I used to really like my single set trigger, push it forward to set it, or a really well tuned single trigger. I'd still prefer just a well tuned crisp single, but, if a set trigger is to be used, I've gotten to love the jaeger style double set trigger on my smooth rifle. One is almost squeezing up on the rear set. Hard to describe in the written word, but look on the Track of The Wolf sight at the jaeger trigger. Wouldn't have thought I'd like it from the picture but it is very comfortable and natural to use.

I'm with Brokennock. I like single set triggers. You still have the option to shoot set or un-set, but there is more room in the trigger guard for a gloved finger in cold weather.

I use both. The advantage of a single trigger is that the rifle can be cocked silently. Hold back trigger, cock, release trigger at full cock. With set triggers, there is always the click. Not that I let any deer get close enough to hear that click. I do enjoy the clean, light set trigger for most shooting. The TVM .62 rifle I hunt with has a single trigger, set at just under 3#, and is nearly as clean as the set trigger on my other rifles.

Personal choice rules.

Do you prefer a single or a set trigger for hunting?

YES :D

For my deer rifles, and smoothies, I like the single trigger. For my target rifles and my small game rifles, I like the set trigger.

Not only do I find no handicap using a single trigger on my deer rifle, but I like the pull of such when my hand is in a glove in cold weather in the field. Same for the smoothbores. AND while it is possible with some double set triggers to fire the firearm with the trigger "unset"..., I find that a bit too heavy a trigger pull.

Very much on the small game rifle I like the double set triggers, as I'm trying for a head shot, and I like that lack of slop for that tiny target area on a squirrel or a rabbit.

LD

I like whichever is a crisp, light pull. I have used some sweet single triggers and some rough double set triggers. Only used a single set once but that one was a little sloppy and heavy. To me it depends on the overall feel and function of the trigger.

I like a well tuned single trigger. Not to say set triggers aren't good. I have spit and polished the less expensive single trigger sears to a firm crisp pull . pound of pull to my liking. I install springs on the single triggers to go back to zero setting, no rattle. Very seldom do any builds now, but always enjoyed tuning triggers and locks. I get irritated to hold a fine looking rifle and the trigger flops around.

I'm conditioned to a crisp trigger of about 3#, however I get it. If double triggers allow that while NOT setting the rear trigger, fine. If I have to pull the set trigger to get a decent trigger the rifle is gone if I can't change it. Same for single triggers. Clean, crisp 3# or gone.

Set triggers are fine for range work and I appreciate one with my butt welded to a benchrest. But the only time I find them useful in the field is rested shooting, and usually never bother so long as the front trigger is doing the job I hired it for.

No doubt about it .. a set trigger all the way. Either double or single but that hair trigger makes all the difference when it comes to hitting the right spot.

My "primary" rifle and smoothbore flinters are both single, but nice geometry so they are light and crisp.

And much easier to use with gloves or mittens on.

My New Englander is a single trigger as well and my favorite hunting cap gun.

Both work equally well, and can be used as designed. I have rifles and pistols with both types, and you just have to learn to use the firearm as designed.

Latest posts

Back