• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What BP load do you use in your .36 revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinworm

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi, I just bought a .36 revolver (an 1862 Colt Police, by Uberti) It is TINY! I can't believe how small those chambers are. Can I ask you what charge you use in yours?

15 grains. It's been a while, but I think 18 grains will fit with round ball. Someone here will know for sure.

My 1862 likes .380" balls; .375" balls go in too easy.

It would be good to list the powder used, substitute, true Black and noting that they all have different pressures for the same volume.

777 x 3F has a lot more kaboom than the others.

And that is by volume? Keeping in mind the only real referent is weight, volume is not a weight and the measures for using volume are not calibrated to a set standard.

Not such the concern some would have you think if punching paper target accuracy. There are NMLRA national championships won and current national records standing with only 12 grs 3f Swiss load shot at 25 yards. Colt 61, Remington Navy and custom .36 ROA that I can confirm...c

It would be good to list the powder used, substitute, true Black and noting that they all have different pressures for the same volume.

777 x 3F has a lot more kaboom than the others.
Not necessarily. When compared to Swiss and Olse Eynsford it usually just a step behind them, but still close.

17 grns 3F Schuetzen in my paper cartridges, 20 grns when loading loose. Don't notice much of a difference in POI. Will try Swiss when I get more of a quantity.

Not necessarily. When compared to Swiss and Olse Eynsford it usually just a step behind them, but still close.

Can't say other than GOEX as true black is hard to come by in my locale.

777 3F has a lot more oomph than Pyro P and RS as well.

You do have to understand that measure devices are not calibrated nor are powders and the best ref is to weight and then use the measure as needed. Weight never changes. Also keep in mind how much settle in powder affects how much you dispense as well and again weight takes that into account.

The RS settles a lot.

Can't say other than GOEX as true black is hard to come by in my locale.

777 3F has a lot more oomph than Pyro P and RS as well.

You do have to understand that measure devices are not calibrated nor are powders and the best ref is to weight and then use the measure as needed. Weight never changes. Also keep in mind how much settle in powder affects how much you dispense as well and again weight takes that into account.

The RS settles a lot.
Yeah, my old rifle measure’s 30 grn setting dropped 33 grns of 3F Olde E but my new one does drop what the measure states. Of course if I were to use another brand it wouldn’t weigh what Olde E does as they don’t all weigh the same. I’ve seen a weight difference of about 5 grns when measuring real BP from a 30 grn measure. And none weighed 30 grns, all were a bit short.

Oh, and I do settle my powder charges too.

Back