• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What 40 cal TWIST are you shooting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
roundball said:
Thinking about the various ROT comments throughout this thread, I have to be honest and say that I wonder if any of us could "see" a difference in accuracy at the target between a 1:48" and 1:57" twist...based on a couple thoughts.
1) I thought the 1:48" twist is what most if not all top competitive shooters use;
2) In a barrel that's already shorter than 48" to begin with, a ball doesn't make a full revolution as it is...and a slower twist would make it even less so.

I'm struggling to grasp what a .40cal is going to be used for, that a change of only 9" twist would be needed, be noticeable, and make a pass/fail difference ?
:hmm:

Its not a pass/fail situation. Im having a $2500 custom gun built and I want it to be right. Keep in mind that the 1/57 is 18% slower than the 1/48.

I have an old Douglas GAA with a 1-48". Seven lands and grooves. I shoot a flintlock with 45gr 3F, .018 pillow ticking, .390 RB. Haven't shot it for awhile, thanks for the reminder. Can't find my old targets but it shots better than my 66 yr old eyes. Unfortunately here in Pa .45 is minimum for deer so it doesn't get much use anymore. Did well on squirrel though.

I shoot a 42" long green mountain 40 cal on my flinter with a 48" twist. 40 grains fff goex, .015 patch, .390 round ball. Last weekend at the range I put three consecutive shots in a 1 1/2" circle bench rested at 40 yds. I don't have any other experience with other rates of twist in that caliber, but I sure like the one I got.

HH 60

hawken hunter 60 said:
I shoot a 42" long green mountain 40 cal on my flinter with a 48" twist. 40 grains fff goex, .015 patch, .390 round ball. Last weekend at the range I put three consecutive shots in a 1 1/2" circle bench rested at 40 yds. I don't have any other experience with other rates of twist in that caliber, but I sure like the one I got.

HH 60

Im sure that with the right load worked up any reasonable twist would be very accurate. I just would like to be able to shoot our woods walk (all falling steel targets) and I think the extra powder charge that the slower twist will allow should help. I cant wait to get this gun!

Back