• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Well, now I've done it!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it's all together now. This is my first rifle build other than a couple of cheap CVA and other kit guns back in the 70's. I learned a lot and made and fixed a few mistakes but I am happy with it. I think it turned out really nice. Think if it isn't raining too much tomorrow, I will go out and shoot it. Here are some pictures.
IMG_2559.JPG
IMG_2551.JPG
IMG_2552.JPG
IMG_2560.JPG

You did a fine job of bringing that rifle to the point where you are ready to head to the range. We need to see the target from your first visit to the range. The group will be less important for the first few shots, but the consistency of ignition, how many shots you get before you need to knap your flint to keep that edge sharp. Spend some time to get the group tightened up before you begin to adjust sights. I like to use a big target to see where the point of impact is and is that consistent as powder charge changes.

The fun begins.

Damn! It is raining and windy (25 mph +). Supposed to rain all day. Looks like maybe a window around 8pm tonight. I may run on over and try to shoot it then.

Great job on that build. That is a mighty fine rifle! Enjoyed following your progress. I hope it shoots as well as it looks.

It say a lot of good things about how Petonica worked with you. Kudos to them . . . no Kudos to the PO though.

Rain finally quit and the wind died down to about 7-10 mph so....................... off to the range for a few test fire shots. The gun shot great (better than me). I am no crack shot with open sights. It was shooting pretty good at 25 yards.
IMG_5529 Very first shot of this Southern Mountain Rifle.jpg

First three shots with a new gun.
20200613_173601.jpg

I found that it was shooting high at 50 yards with the buckhorn sights. I was all the way down in the bottom notch.
This thing is great for off hand with that swamped barrel. I never had or fired one before.
IMG_5762 Flash standing crp.jpg
IMG_5772 Flash standing crp tone.jpg

Back