• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Water bags

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rayb

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Anybody else use a water bag? The linen kind that you hang up in the shade, the evaporation cools the water. I know a lot of you are from up around the arctic circle and don't have much of a summer, but for the southwest they sure work good. Mine was a gift from a friend, now gone. Used to see them lots on ranch trucks and cars, but not much any more. Have tied one on horseback years ago, but wasn't a very good way of doing things.

rayb

Any idea how I would go about making a water bag? I too live in Texas (Dallas area) and think this may be better than a keg for water.

The one i have was purchased. It is made of heavy linen type cloth, may have some kind of wx treatment but not sure about that. Has a canteen type opening on one end with a cork to close the hole. Used to see them in feed stores, etc, but haven't seen one lately.

rayb

Any idea how I would go about making a water bag? I too live in Texas (Dallas area) and think this may be better than a keg for water.

Didn't the Native Americans use the bladder from large animals to carry and store water?

they sure did. If you see Dances With wolves..there is a scene where they are at the river and she is filling the Bladers. they are made from the blader of the animal and work very nicely. I have a few. and there is no smell or taste from them. they also hang from inside the tipi to keep them cool and off the ground as they do not keep a stiff shape. More like a water balloon.

When i made the original post i may have made an error. I said it was made of a heavy linen material. I found my bag. On it is stamped "Made in the USA of Pure Scottish Flax".

I don't know if linen is made out of flax or what. Anyway that's what is says. Just trying to get the details right.

It's filled and hanging out in the back yard. water was nice & cool when i went to look at it just now to do this post.

rayb

Today on Memorial Day remember those who gave their lives to preserve this great nation of ours. Today is not a holiday, it's a day to remember fellow soldiers now gone.

linen comes from the flax plant, and is very PC, so is hemp, which comes from the stems of cannabis, everyone knows what that is. I'd like to see a pic of your water bag, can you post it?

well, let me get my new digital camera working & learn how to do that. i don't think the plastic cap is very PC, but it could be replaced by a cork if that is a consideration. some of the older ones i used to have had the corks. It's just a rectangular bag, about 18" x 24", off white colr, rough material, with a cap on one end and a rope handle threaded through brass gromets.

that help any?

rayb

The one i have was purchased. It is made of heavy linen type cloth, may have some kind of wx treatment but not sure about that. Has a canteen type opening on one end with a cork to close the hole. Used to see them in feed stores, etc, but haven't seen one lately.

We used to hang one of these on the bumper of my Dad's Hudson Hornet when going cross-country. You can still find them or make one out of a tight weave linen. They leak very slowly, just enough to keep the outside wet.

fb_1_b.JPG

31_12_sb.JPG

81_1_b.JPG

As usual, Claude has good pictures. Mine most closely resembles the "Atlas" model in Claude's pictures. I guess it is a "one gallon" vs the 2 gallon models also shown in Claude's excellent pictures.

Hey Claude, did you know 2 Hudson car hoods welded together can make a boat? I have seen it done. you have a picture of one??? ::

rayb

As usual, Claude has good pictures. Mine most closely resembles the "Atlas" model in Claude's pictures. I guess it is a "one gallon" vs the 2 gallon models also shown in Claude's excellent pictures.

I stole the photos off the Net, so I can't take any credit. :)

I have a Hudson hood canoe. Found at our local junk yard site. Still in great shape and it floats!! cost me a big $20

Let's get a picture of it up quick before Claude or Musketman conjures up one... :crackup:

that way we know its real.

rayb

Latest posts

Back