• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Vinegar-cotton rope finish

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbutch

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Saw article on this method last fall. in the article the guy used yarn instead of 1/4" cotton rope.

I soaked the 1/4" cotton rope for 6 hours in clear 5% acid vinegar-wrapped the rope around a GM 32" 40 cal. bbl. once the rope was wrapped I overlaid it with cotton cloth and added more vinegar -let it stand 1 1/2 days..unwrapped it and this is the finish it produced. a soft textured Dumascus looking finish..will leave barrel as is- I'm thinking it will only darken and the finish will stand out even more...Has any one else had luck with this finish? Thanks in advance....Dan

IMG_0727.jpg

That's an intresting way to finish a barrel. Did you completely cover the barrel with the rope? Please keep us posted on how it colors with time.

mr.flintlock said:
Did you completely cover the barrel with the rope?

Mr flintlock..Yes started at the Snell and wrapped it tight to the muzzle..the finish looks better in person-my camera is not so good at closeups..sorry.

I had thought about wrapping a barrel with rope but haven't tried it. I did do a pistol barrel with vinegar wrapped in a soft bath towel.It looks almost galvanized. :shake: I'm thinking about re- doing it :hmm: maybe i will wrap it with rope now and see what it looks like.

What kind of vinegar do you need to use? Is it the general white/clear kind which gets used on chips (fries)?

Also, how durable is this finish? does its withstand years of handling or will it have to be redone after a certain period?

I really like the look. :thumbsup:

Fossil ..it's easy and fun--Next one I will use a smaller rope for effect..Good luck with yours please send pic's when completed...Dan

Titus said:
What kind of vinegar do you need to use? Is it the general white/clear kind which gets used on chips (fries)?

Also, how durable is this finish? does its withstand years of handling or will it have to be redone after a certain period?

I really like the look. :thumbsup:

I used red wine vinegar 5% also used clear vinegar 5% The next one will be a smaller rope diameter all red wine vinegar.

This finish is 12 hours old..so no report yet on wear and tear--I can say that the vinegar has textured the barrel slightly--next barrel I'll leave the rope on longer..should have more of a reaction to the metal surface. I'm not a barrel left" in the white" guy so this is new ground for me. My take on the finish is it will darken and the texture will just stand out more....Dan

SMO--with vinegar to get that finish you need to have a twisted braid yarn or rope with a slight space between-this is caused by the diameter of the rope or yarn.. I think I have less than 10 dollars in this project and the finish looks great! Try it with the rope You just might like it..Good luck send pic's of your finish....Dan

Heads up guys... I failed to mention I removed the factory bluing with naval jelly first-rinsed -degreased the barrel with brake cleaner rinsed in water dried and then wrapped with the vinegar soaked rope....Dan

right now I have the under rib and rr pipes wrapped with yarn soaked in vinegar will post results in a couple of days

worked with the camera here's a better view of the pattern texture.I think this would look great on a finish for a knife.

IMG_0741.jpg

That is totally 100% outstanding!!!!!! I have a Jackie Brown 62 caliber smoothrifle showing up this week....in the white!!!! You just helped me decide on my finish!!!

Thanks a ton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Makeum smoke the next time I hit a boiler outage in wisconsin I definately want to meet you.
Larry

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks -wish it was all my idea..Not!
Larry-Never meet a fitter or a soot eater I didn't like! A very independent lot! Not afraid to spend money too! bring your guns.. I got the powder...Dan

Let me post my finish with the yarn before you start your barrel don't want to to send you in the wrong direction.

I have got a rotted out bore barrel I will do a test on and post it ...I'm thinking of doing the vinegar wrap and then a light rust brown and see if the finish stands out even more.

I just took steel wool to the underside of the barrel it removes the dark color but the barrel is etched just like the pattern you see--Would need a file to remove the etching...I dabbed some LMF rust brown on will report back on it's out come.

This barrel I hung while wrapped -the etching stands out more at the bottom half of the barrel due to the vinegar settling low-the next barrel will get wrapped and laid on its side horizontal and rolled 1/4 turn every 6 to 8 hours to even out the etching..

rewrapped the top half of the barrel added cotton cloth soaked -this time I wrapped cling wrap around to keep the vinegar from evaporating- will keep horizontal and turn every 6 hours -the under rib and rr pipes are the smaller wraps- wanted to show what the used rope looked like..It started out white..and a correction looking at the rope packaging it states 7/32 not 1/4" cotton- My bad!

one note... I plugged the bore and flash hole with 1" of Moose snot lube after I oiled the bore wet..to keep the vinegar for etching the bore. this is more critical while keeping the barrel horizontal.

two note- when doing the next barrel I will prewash the cotton rope to soften and remove the coating used to protect it..It took 6 hours to soak in the vinegar.

note 3.. this was done in the laundry room of the basement.if you do not like the smell of vinegar in your house do this out side..the laundry sink is large and made for a good working area.

The red yarn was used to wrap the rib and pipes

the rust brown test point just turned the barrel dark it did nothing to enhance the rope finish.

Looking at the barrel this morning this sure does enhance the plain in the white look.

This is my first shot at this finish so bear with me.

IMG_0745.jpg

Makeumsmoke, Here's the galvanized looking finish i got on my pistol that i was talking about above :idunno:

100_5915.jpg

I like that finish too!How long did you leave the soaked towel on? Looking good....Dan

6 hours ,It's only been done about 1 month i hope it will turn darker with time. If not i my put some navel jelly on it and see what happens. :hmm:

Took off the cling wrap and cotton soaked wrap this is after 20 hrs. -peaked under the rope it's etching as I type. will give it 12 more hours adding vinegar when needed.

IMG_0746.jpg

smo.i would think that there is some etching under the color-I noticed that at the top of the barrel where the rope dried the quickest there still was just some slight etching.The best part of this finish is how easy it is to create.Wonder what a heavy burlap would look like?

It is easy to do. You maybe onto something with the burlap idea.It would be worth a try,I was thinking of cotton twine like in a carpenters chalk box whaped around the barrel .The lines would be closer together in the finish. :wink:

Latest posts

Back