• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

VERY embarrassing & valuable lesson

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I can explain that! :v When I was younger I was very broad in the shoulder area ... Somehow gravity got the better of me and now that broad area has descended a floor or two, and now everything is lingering around the 'Equator' area of my body... Can't get it up there anymore?! :idunno: :hmm: :rotf:

My 32 got me the other day, or should I say I got it!! Had a heck of a time getting enough powder behind that tiny little ball to get it to pop out, but finally did.

Definitely a member of the club.

Doc

Think it's called "furniture disease"...when your chest falls into your drawers! :wink: :haha:

Just a quick note to say that I did the black powder demo for the gun club's Youth Day again a few weeks back. I had roughly 60 kids of varying ages go through that shot at least once and a few twice when there was no one waiting. Unlike when I did Ladies Day, not a single dryball this time!! I was loading just 40 grains; occasionally a bit less when a much younger kid came through. One kid couldn't be convinced by his mom to shoot, so I sat at the bench, shouldered the rifle and he just pulled the trigger. Lot's of smiles that day!

Dry ball always brings a smile cause in all these 50 years I've never done it...pure luck and the grace of God I assure you. I've more than made up for it doing other bizarre stuff including burning all the hair off my noggin from chin to about 3 inches into my hair line....twice! Hint: Always point the muzzle away from you when you pour in the powder!

"FOOSH!"
"Dammit!"
"Wes, you OK?"
"Yeah"
"Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha!!"

I probably dry balled a rifle at least once back in the 70's, but thankfully never when I was shooting in a match.

What I did do was get a flame going with flint and steel so fast one time I could not believe it and when I blew into the spark, I burnt much of my eyebrows off because it was so fast for me. Thank Heaven I was wearing glasses that day.

Gus

I don't think I ever dry balled when shooting by myself. But around other shooters - at the range, for instance - I've done it more times than I care to remember. :v:

Dry balling, folks will admit to, but seldom will they tell of blowing a smoking hole in the ground when checking to see if the vent is clear, unless caught in the act.Usually one is pointing at a tuff of grass or a leaf to see the cap explosion move them. Boy they really move when the gun is loaded. :rotf:
Now that is embarrassing in the extreme, once the shock wears off! :rotf:
This usually only happens once as it is to extreme to ever forget.

I have went out FOUR times now and no dryball?

Buddy went once and he double loaded a CVA in line with pellets n Sabots. Those dont come out in the field we learned. He took er back dirty to SD and assume has corrected it by now!!

For my last birthday my oldest gave me my new black powder shoot shirt.Says...First the powder,then the ball,if not that way,the damn thing wont shoot at all.

Latest posts

Back