• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

VERY embarrassing & valuable lesson

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait until you show a group of kids how to tell if your vent is clear by popping a cap through a loaded gun at a tuft of grass. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
That will get the most ardent day dreamer in your class to pay attention!! :rotf: :haha:

Well, I have to say I've never put a round into the grass!

The serious stuff:
I had better not ever put a round into the grass or over the berm or the range safety officer will pull me aside for a "chat". Been more than one person permanently banned for safety violations a lot less serious than that. We're surrounded by single family residential, people who built well after the club existed. Like they tell the new members at orientation: "We're just 1 round away from having a very nice 300 acre park"!

Also I ALMOST dry balled the other day shooting in the creek. Had my ball seated, patch knife ready to cut the patch... then it struck me. Yanked out the ball and yep, no powder.

That was close. Been lucky so far! Never dry balled (yet).

If you loaded a PRB without powder, you dry balled whether you fired or not. No shame in it. I've done it a couple times. I get distracted is when it happens and it seems now a days I get distracted even easier. I dry balled a couple years ago. I was on my way to work and decided I could try my new BP rifle since the spot in the desert I shoot at was on the way and it would save gas and time both.

Just in too much of a hurry, so I pulled the nipple and put a few grains of powder in. Cap went off but nothing, so I did it again and still nothing. Usually I can still feel it fire out but I tried a couple more times, being in panic mode because I have to get to work and don't want a dry ball still in the gun. Finally I checked it and apparently it had fired out already, I just didn't feel it go out.

Those who shoot ML WILL dry ball. Those who claim to have never dry balled have not shot much or are good liars. :grin:

Next is shoot the ramrod. It happens more than you think and no big deal unless you cannot find the rod or it splintered when it hit!! :metoo:

I'm a regular dryball practitioner. I however, in 44 years, have not shot a ramrod down range. Dunno why, I'd think since I can be counted on to dryball about every other outing I would have a string of ramrods shot out too :idunno:

Hey guys, You can all say want you want cause, who's gonna know. I'm here to tell you what it feels like , on your shoulder , to sail about a 2 pound brass ram rod down range.They do sail surprizingly well with out feathers.At least 100 yds, and, not once ,but twice in a row. I was mad and trying to map out what was going on, and just got carried away.All by yourself is not always the best.Twenty years latter I still think , and smile.NOT ME

Rereading this thread, I spotted the reference to a hole in the ground. Reminded me of my first time out shooting BP. I had an 1858 Remington. The old range setup was pretty basic consisting of wooden picnic tables. I was wearing a rather thick glove on my shooting hand and, when I cocked the gun, I lost my grip and it started to roll, at which point the weight of the barrel tripped the trigger. I recovered my "aplomb" and looked to see where it hit. If I shut my eyes,I can still see the smoke curling out of the hole, maybe three feet beyond the table. Could have been worse. I had a powder flask on the table, right about in line with that hole. If it had touched off a tad later, well...

My range is in the same boat as the one mentioned, above. Founded in 1953, what was once country is now embedded in housing tracts. One misplaced round and it's adios.

I've dry balled a time or two; my first wasn't my fault, I swear... I'm blaming teenage hormones, long blond hair, blue eyes, and a summer tan.
I'd had my cva less than a year, a buddy wanted to see it, his big sister (who was sizzling hot) drove him. I'm trying to impress her, can't stop staring, and pop about 4 caps before I check the barrel. No powder..I turned red as a beet, she said I'm going to the car. It broke my heart.
Got a ramrod stuck trying to clean, tried everything to pull it, no dice. Trickled a lil ffg in, Pop, ramrod went flying.

S'ok, she likely weighs twice yer current weight and has lost a front tooth. Seen my ol love o my life w year ago and thus was the case. All in HS stated she was the best lookin. Funny that 40 yrs....hasn't got to me yet :idunno: :bull: :rotf:

Same thing for me. Everyone else has gotten old, and looks it, except me. I'm still that Hollywood handsome devil I'v always been.
vweohs72tl737l.jpg

AMEN brother!!! My first, and only dry ball was using my powder horn sans proprellent :cursing:

-The Irish Mick
Arizona Territory

Not me I was a heart throb then and only gotten more handsome in 50 years! I feel sorry for all the heart broken woman I've passed! :rotf:
"Wife, stop that awful, irritating laughter"! Bald heads, and big guts are sexy now days! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Back