• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Using filler over powder?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
That's the question. I see a lot of target shooters at my local range are using filler over the powder charge in single-shot pistols, flint or percussion.
I have read arguments for and against but not seen anything specific that convinces me either way. I use cream of wheat in my Pietta Remington with some success but I have never tried it in my Ardesa under hammer.
What's the general opinion? Is it the way of the future?

Fillers are used when firing less than full charges in a revolver, to keep the ball at the front of the chamber.

That's one part of the answer...

For a single shot, it may cushion the ball. Whether that's of any importance - ?
The shooters you see at the range have their reasons, you should discuss the matter with them.

In the end, try it yourself, see if there are any advantages for you and your guns, and your targets.

just my somewhat uninformed opinion. More knowledgeable answers will be forthcoming.

If the single shot pistol has a deep patent breech and you are shooting really light loads for targets the filler is needed to bring the volume up enough to properly seat the ball so you don't have an air space.

Also corn meal seems to help keep the fouling scrubbed out of the barrel.

I have used it to separate the powder from the
sloppy wet patch...Keeps from wetting the powder
if I don't get the shot off real quick. Wet powder
will burn late in the muzzle...no explanation
needed on that one.

I checked out my Ardesa when I first bought it. The paperwork that came with the gun recommended 11grs of powder. When I measured the patent breech it worked out the same. I have since found out that 13grs of Swiss 1 gives me the best results. I never thought to reduce it to less than 11 but maybe I will give it a try with a few grains of cream of wheat over the powder.
That's what I like about this hobby, you are always learning!

Back