• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Unusual two piece lock, flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember. Distributed by Stoeger Arms. Dixie use to advertise the elephant gun in their catalog as either 4 or 6 gauge. I remember seeing the elephant gun also with one of the two-piece locks. I guess it just depends on what surplus stock was on hand at the time. LOL It seems that most of them had the two-piece locks by the mid-1960's. (?)
The earliest ones I've seen, supposedly from the early 1900's had a one-piece lock plate that was very long with a reinforced style hammer. They occasionally come up at auctions.

Rick
It measures .90 caliber. It looks to be unfired

The Belgians didn't just use up surplus parts, they manufactured new parts as needed. The prices from the "1947" ad are about what I seem to remember from the 1970s. Stoger catalog?

I picked up this lock at a gun show yesterday. It doesn’t appear to have ever been used and the only marks on it are the numbers 19 on each half. The cock is one one piece and the frizzen is on another. It has a military feel to it due to the heavy nature. It is 7 3/4” long.View attachment 300563View attachment 300564View attachment 300565
Any know what it is?
What's interesting is that this specific two piece lock was used to illustrate "How to load and fire a flintlock gun" in the Stoeger 1956 catalog (and other dates probably) and the price of the Model 6475W muzzleloader using this type lock cost $32.50

DGW used to carry them

DGW used to carry them
You've got a good memory. Dixie listed them in 1968 for $12.50
Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 5.20.18 PM.png

It’s Belgian for an African trade musket. Many were imported here for the bi centennial to sell as wall hangers. Look up Belgian flintlock trade gun, you can see examples of them. These were made from old military gun parts and leftovers from the Belgium gun trade for sale to countries where modern guns were banned or way to expensive to own.
Spot on that's what it is Our Sam knows this stuff . Cheers Rudyard

Back