• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Unusual two piece lock, flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up this lock at a gun show yesterday. It doesn’t appear to have ever been used and the only marks on it are the numbers 19 on each half. The cock is one one piece and the frizzen is on another. It has a military feel to it due to the heavy nature. It is 7 3/4” long.
IMG_3168.jpeg
IMG_3169.jpeg
IMG_3170.jpeg

Any know what it is?

I picked up this lock at a gun show yesterday. It doesn’t appear to have ever been used and the only marks on it are the numbers 19 on each half. The cock is one one piece and the frizzen is on another. It has a military feel to it due to the heavy nature. It is 7 3/4” long.View attachment 300563View attachment 300564View attachment 300565
Any know what it is?
I’ve seen a similar two piece hinged flintlock on a breech loading gun. I saw it in someone’s collection years ago, but don’t remember the details.

It’s Belgian for an African trade musket. Many were imported here for the bi centennial to sell as wall hangers. Look up Belgian flintlock trade gun, you can see examples of them. These were made from old military gun parts and leftovers from the Belgium gun trade for sale to countries where modern guns were banned or way to expensive to own.

Thanks Sam. I suspected it was for something like that. Now if it cleans up and sparks good what to do with it. I don’t think it has ever had a flint in it or been fired. It might work to put together a barn gun.

It almost looks like the hammer half was a percussion lock retrofitted with a flint hammer and a the other half added to provide a frizzen and pan.
The first ones were surplus back action percussion locks. Those are the good ones, good sparkers with a hard frizzen. Later when they ran out of them, the gunmakers made copies with a coil spring.

This comes from the old 6475W. As many here have said, NOS parts built into new guns for African trade or home decor. Here is an ad from 1947. I’ve seen them in catalogs as early as 1911 and as late as the 60’s

View attachment 300748
I've got the 6494 elephant gun. Found it at a yard sale

Attachments

• 20240304_140327.jpg
    20240304_140327.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240304_140339.jpg
    20240304_140339.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240304_140425.jpg
    20240304_140425.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
On close inspection of such locks it seems they are mostly obsolete original cheap Belgian made percussion and hammer shotgun lock repurposed to flint.

Hi Jake

Much agree with Posts #8,10, and 18. In fact, I once owned a musket with that same two-piece lock. Except the hammer on mine was a reinforced style. Bought it new in 1964/5 from Century Arms (I think). Recall paying about $35.00 plus shipping. I was only 14/15 then. I use to fire blanks with it. Eventually, I had to send the frizzen to Dixie to have it hardened. Those were fun days. Don't remember what I did with it.

Rick

I've got the 6494 elephant gun. Found it at a yard sale
I remember. Distributed by Stoeger Arms. Dixie use to advertise the elephant gun in their catalog as either 4 or 6 gauge. I remember seeing the elephant gun also with one of the two-piece locks. I guess it just depends on what surplus stock was on hand at the time. LOL It seems that most of them had the two-piece locks by the mid-1960's. (?)
The earliest ones I've seen, supposedly from the early 1900's had a one-piece lock plate that was very long with a reinforced style hammer. They occasionally come up at auctions.

Rick

Back