• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti Walker replica

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B.P. Arn,
I want to install a hammer retaining loop like the one you did on your Walker holster, pictured below. Is there a knot on the retaining thong inside the holster to keep it in place ?

I have not used a knot on thongs that I have made.

I use 1/8" thick vegetable tanned leather for the thong. Cut the thong to shape, and taper the tip for easy insertion into the holster. I make the body of the thong 1/4" wide. I drill two 3/16" holes in the holster body, about 7/8" apart. I soak the thong in water for about a half minute, at which point the leather is very soft and pliable. I then thread the thong into, and back out of, the holster body. Next insert the handgun and see if you like the fit of the thong. If it is too loose or too tight, adjust as desired. I adjust it to get a good, tight fit. After it has dried, it put a coat of "Tan-Kote" leather finish on smooth side of the thong.

Once it has dried, it WILL stay in place! No knot needed.

A picture is worth a thousand words, so here is a side view of how I do it:
100_7085.JPG

At the range I used 55 grains of FFFg under a home cast round ball. I put a little home lube (bees waxView attachment 40667 and olive oil mixture) on top of each ball.

Then I decided to make this holster for it...View attachment 40664View attachment 40665View attachment 40668View attachment 40669View attachment 40670View attachment 40671View attachment 40671

I don't know why that first picture posted out of order, and I don't know how to edit it, but you get the idea...
Beautiful!

If you were loking for a small amount of scrap 1/8" leather where would you look ? Back in the old days there was Tandy Leather..

I use 1/8" thick vegetable tanned leather for the thong. Cut the thong to shape, and taper the tip for easy insertion into the holster. I make the body of the thong 1/4" wide. I drill two 3/16" holes in the holster body, about 7/8" apart. I soak the thong in water for about a half minute, at which point the leather is very soft and pliable. I then thread the thong into, and back out of, the holster body. Next insert the handgun and see if you like the fit of the thong. If it is too loose or too tight, adjust as desired. I adjust it to get a good, tight fit. After it has dried, it put a coat of "Tan-Kote" leather finish on smooth side of the thong.

View attachment 68686

How long in length is the thong ?

View attachment 68686

Your belt is probably chrome tanned leather, which would work, but not as well as vegetable tanned. If chrome, it will not wet form worth beans. If you want some vegetable tanned leather, PM me, and I would be glad to send to a piece, no charge.

Last edited:
How long in length is the thong ?

I make each one custom fit to the holster and gun combo. I make the tail extra long, then trim it after it is in place and adjusted to where I want it.

Make the tab that fits over the hammer first, then make the body. Make the tab over-sized, so you can trim it down later if needed.

You can mount the thong on the side of the holster if you'd like, as shown in the photo.

100_7091.JPG

Last edited:
That’s curious? I’ve never seen an Uberti without a blued cylinder.

Then again, I’ve seen plenty of “New In Box” guns that certainly were not!
20210313_003557.jpg

Removing the blue from the cylinders is a "thing " because the originals did not have blued cylinders.

I did this to mine and I think it gives them a nice look.

Thank you so much for posting this! Your tutorial is so clear even I can understand it. I'm going to print and use the image as a tracing pattern!

I make each one custom fit to the holster and gun combo. I make the tail extra long, then trim it after it is in place and adjusted to where I want it.

Make the tab that fits over the hammer first, then make the body. Make the tab over-sized, so you can trim it down later if needed.

You can mount the thong on the side of the holster if you'd like, as shown in the photo.

View attachment 68712

Back