• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti 1858 Remington - Army vs Navy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bebloomster

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Decisions, decisions, decisions. I've pretty much made up my mind that my next revolver is going to be a Uberti-made 1858 Remington. This will be mostly a "plinking" gun... as long as it will hold "minute of soda can" at 25 yards that will be fine with me. Now I have to decide between the Army (44 cal with an 8" barrel) or the Navy (36 cal with a 7 3/8" barrel) version.

Which would be your choice? Any particular reason? Thanks

I would go with the .44 since I compete with one and place in the top three among our entire league. Easier to use just one size (.454) ball for several revolvers. Holes are bigger and therefore easier to see too :wink: .

Can't really go wrong with either. I don't own a .36, probably never will.

Dave

I own a .36, which incidentally is called a 'New Navy' rather than a New Army. I intend to add a .44 someday. I have no good reason for having chosen the .36 first; I have several other .36 and .44 revolvers.

Go with the .36, for no reason other than the other person who responded said to get a .44.

For some reason there is a shortage of 36s compared to 44s.

I have checked most of the stocking dealers and the only place that has 36s is Dixie. Most of the dealers said a shipment is coming into the country in the next 30 to 45 days depending on who you visit with.

RDE

I have a Pietta-made Remington in .36 caliber. It's a very accurate revolver that I use in competition. The .36 is a bit cheaper to shoot than the .44 (less powder, less lead)if that is a consideration, for me I just seem to prefer smaller calibers in handguns.....I have an original Adams-patent revolver in .34 also. I don't think you could go wrong with either caliber, just get the one that holds the most appeal for you.

A fine choice in revolvers, regardless which caliber you choose. Let's pro and con the caliber choices for a minute. The .36, using less lead and powder, is cheaper to shoot. It also has less recoil so it's easier to master, yet still makes plenty of boom and smoke. The .44 is more powerful, a bit more costly to shoot, and kicks more. It's also the correct caliber for the 1858 if that matters to you.

If it's just for plinking and target shooting, the .36 has a lot of strong points. That said, my 1858s are all .44 caliber, for no particular reason at all! :rotf:

Poor Private,

Thank you very much, I know one dealer, who has them, but prefer not to trade with there.

I will start Monday morning on my search with your references.

I want a 36 and it's on my Christmas List.

The other half will appreciate your help.

Again, thanks

RDE

Hey no prob, thats what we are here for. Actually I am looking for a .36 myself. (don't tell the wife!!!!!). Not sure which type tho weterh colt style or remington. Sometimes I just pick one up when there is a good deal.

Just for Plinking go with the .36. But you must realize your curiosity will eventually get the best of you, resulting in the purcase of a .44. Oh, and then there is the Colt vs. Remington thing to worry about, so you will have to get a Colt also. Then you may succomb to the Bigger the better demon and have to buy a Walker...... :surrender:

Plink:

I don't understand this comment

"It's also the correct caliber for the 1858 if that matters to you."

I agree that the 36 that Pietta is selling now is not a true replica. It is built on the 44 frame. But Remington did make an 1858 in 36 caliber. It was called the New Army Police. It had a smaller frame and a five shot cylinder. I saw an original not long ago for $1200.00.

:v Go for the Army in .44---it's one real great gun. Mine has a beautiful trigger and it's a good gripping handful for my pianistfingers. I feel that Uberti is usually the closest to the originals and the construction, parts and finish of a Uberti is far superior to other manufacturers IMHO. :thumbsup:

Remington made this gun in .36 cal and .36 cal is known as the navy cal. the Army is .44 cal. I read an article years ago about a man named Tim Tobins who tracked down two Mexican brothers named Espinosa who killed some people. The article showed a pic of the gun used in the murders and it was a .36 cal Remington 6 shot Navy percussion.

P.

ps...I like the size of the remington Navy and the thicker trigger than Colt.

Actually, Remington made several different .36 caliber 1858 style revolvers.

The Remington-Beals Navy Model Revolver was a smaller version of the Remington-Beals Army Model Revolver that was made in 1861-1862. Like the Remington-Beals Army its frame extends all the way to the front face of the cylinder. Also like that Army version it tended to lock up due to fouling after a few shots.

The Remington 1861 Navy was a smaller copy of the Remington 1861 Army with the same style of loading lever that would allow removal of the cylinder without dropping the loading lever.
Like the 1861 Army, this allowed the cylinder pin to fall out of the cylinder when it was carried muzzle down and was the chief reason that this design was not acceptable to either of the arms of the Service. These were made in 1862.

The Remington New Model Navy was a smaller copy of the New Model Army with all of the improvements designed into the New Model Army.
Although its frame and cylinder are smaller than the New Model Army it is a 6 shot pistol.
It was made 1863-1868.

Remington made a New Model S/A Belt Revolver that was basically a New Model Navy with a shorter barrel (6 1/2") and some other minor changes. Made 1865-1873.

There was a double action revolver called the Remington-Rider that was a .36 caliber 6 shot made 1863-1873. This looks like a New Model S/A Belt Revolver with an enlarged trigger guard to accommodate the double action trigger.

The Remington New Model Police Revolver was a 5 shot .36 caliber gun that looked like the Remington New Model Army but the frame was much smaller than any of the other .36 caliber Remingtons.
This gun was made to compete with the Colt 1862 Police Revolver and Colt Pocket Navy.
It was made in 1865-1873.

The Italian made .36 caliber Remington is made to be similar to the Remington New Model Navy but, as was noted, it uses the New Model Army frame so it is larger than any of the actual Remington Navys.

Found a Navy Arms marked 1858 Remington 44 cal that was Uberti-made around 1967 or 1968. Supposedly has never been fired... should be arriving sometime next week or so.

Get both. There is no reason not to. :blah: Of course, the only reason to have both is to have both. :rotf: I enjoy both and alternate carry guns. So get both.

Merdean

Back