• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tulle - Fusil de Chasse

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ringel05

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Jedediah Starr Trading Co has a Tulle - Fusil de Chasse kit I'm considering building but the only thing I've ever built was a Colt Sheriffs model 20 years ago and that was nothing more than some minor shaping of the wood on the handle.
anyone know how advanced the JSTC kit is?
Sent them a couple of emails but have had no response.

I believe, for the most part, J.S. sources their kits from Pecatonica.

In fact, if you follow this link you will get a "photocopy" of the J.S. listing (Pecatonica Tulle)

(and if you do decide on the kit I would deal directly with Pecatonica River - that way if there is a problem you can get it solved by the "source" instead of a "middleman")

Given that, you will get a partially shaped stock, ramrod hole bored, barrel channel cut (as far as the breech - breech will need to be inlet).

The lock, trigger guard and butt plate will be about 90% inlet.

Plug you will get a "box of parts" (see the Pecatonica site page).

This kit is not beyond a first time builder, but since you will do some learning along the way I would budget, minimally, 100 hours before she will go "bang".

This is not a "put part A into cutout B" kind of kit - there is fair bit of woodwork, metal finishing, polishing, sanding/scraping, inletting, filing etc.

galamb said:
I believe, for the most part, J.S. sources their kits from Pecatonica.

In fact, if you follow this link you will get a "photocopy" of the J.S. listing (Pecatonica Tulle)

(and if you do decide on the kit I would deal directly with Pecatonica River - that way if there is a problem you can get it solved by the "source" instead of a "middleman")

Given that, you will get a partially shaped stock, ramrod hole bored, barrel channel cut (as far as the breech - breech will need to be inlet).

The lock, trigger guard and butt plate will be about 90% inlet.

Plug you will get a "box of parts" (see the Pecatonica site page).

This kit is not beyond a first time builder, but since you will do some learning along the way I would budget, minimally, 100 hours before she will go "bang".

This is not a "put part A into cutout B" kind of kit - there is fair bit of woodwork, metal finishing, polishing, sanding/scraping, inletting, filing etc.
Thanks, that's what I needed to know, not that interested in spending that much time and effort as my plate is already full. No to mention I'm too lazy to put that much work into it. Looks like I'll have to go with a finished product if I decide to buy one.
I did see some on Veteran Arms for around $600 but pretty sure those are "Curry" guns.

Ringel05 said:
Looks like I'll have to go with a finished product if I decide to buy one.
I did see some on Veteran Arms for around $600 but pretty sure those are "Curry" guns.

"Curry" gun is a good one...got a good chuckle out of that. Yes, the ones at Veterans Arms, Discrim. Genera;, Loyalist Arms and other s are Indian made. Of all these, I'd only trust Loyalis Arms. They have an agreement with the better makers and only accept guns they inspect. They also check them over, drill touch hole, adjust & harden frizzen and springs, etc. I would feel much more comfortable with one of theirs than any of the or theirs. That being said, these guns are NOT perfect replicas of the originals but only approximate versions that follow the general lines of the originals. Better guns show up on the 'classified' section here or on sites like TOTW and others. sometimes fusils show up at fairly good prices and they look much more like the originals than "curry" versions! :wink: :thumbsup:

Wes/Tex said:
Ringel05 said:
Looks like I'll have to go with a finished product if I decide to buy one.

"Curry" gun is a good one...got a good chuckle out of that. Yes, the ones at Veterans Arms, Discrim. Genera;, Loyalist Arms and other s are Indian made. Of all these, I'd only trust Loyalis Arms. They have an agreement with the better makers and only accept guns they inspect. They also check them over, drill touch hole, adjust & harden frizzen and springs, etc. I would feel much more comfortable with one of theirs than any of the or theirs. That being said, these guns are NOT perfect replicas of the originals but only approximate versions that follow the general lines of the originals. Better guns show up on the 'classified' section here or on sites like TOTW and others. sometimes fusils show up at fairly good prices and they look much more like the originals than "curry" versions! :wink: :thumbsup:
Thanks, I may have found one for around $700, American made as an almost exact copy of the original. Middlesex Village Trading Company.

Oh and someone else here came up with the term "Curry" gun, at least that's where I got it from. :thumbsup:

Middlesex Village guns are also made in India, There are no production Fusil De Chasse guns that are close to historically correct. Many may be good functional guns, but for an accurate copy you would have to go custom.

Trot said:
Middlesex Village guns are also made in India, There are no production Fusil De Chasse guns that are close to historically correct. Many may be good functional guns, but for an accurate copy you would have to go custom.
Thanks, saved me the trouble of ordering one for $75 more than Loyalist Arms and others are Selling it for although Middlesex claims they modified theirs to be more period correct. Maybe why they're asking more for it.

Looked at the Currys, definitely not interested so I'm about ready to bite the bullet and buy the kit from Track of the Wolf.
Since I've only done a 1860 Colt decades ago, much different than building a musket I have some questions.
How easy/hard is installing the breech plug and soldering the lugs, front sight, etc. Track offers to do this work for a price.

Just read through the thread again and I see the Pecatonica Tulle is about $100 less than Tracks. I'll call them on Tuesday, I'll be traveling on Monday.

Please don't get TOTW'S Double wedding band barrel they will give you with it, the octagon part is NOT tapered like its supposed to be and the barrel will weigh around 4 1/2 pounds. I PT'd you about the rest, Get that Griffin Profile barrel!. Also Track get their stocks from Pecatonica also.

:thumbsup:

Yeah, did some more research and I'm going with Pecatonica. Sure I'll be doing some how to research here.

Pecatonica River also offers to install the breech plug, cut sight dovetails and install barrel underlugs if that is required, all at very good prices.

Yea, I forgot they did that, It would have helped me start building, But it may wait till spring anyway has the cold (Winter) really hurts the back :td: .

Although none of the kits are totally historically correct the Track 44" barrel kit with the Track lock is better than the Pecatonica. They will also install the plug,lugs,and sights.

Just remember to buy your own barrel, and make sure it tapers properly at the Oct. to Rd junction.

Just ordered the kit from Pecatonica River, Jeff said the breech plug comes pre-installed and they will solder the lugs and front sight cheaper than TOTW wants to do theirs. He has to make more Tulle stocks so it'll be about a month before it shows up.

Looks like he sent mine with the first stocks made, just got the kit today....... There appears to be a whole lot more work involved than I was lead to believe, work I'm not sure I can do without seriously messing it up. I may have to rethink this.

You can do it if you take your time and ask questions a lot.

As has been said many times, the kits from Pecatonica river, Track of the Wolf, Jim Chambers and the rest are really only a box of semi finished and rough cast parts.
They are not like the big factories "fall together kits", but they make much more realistic guns.

Zonie said:
You can do it if you take your time and ask questions a lot.

As has been said many times, the kits from Pecatonica river, Track of the Wolf, Jim Chambers and the rest are really only a box of semi finished and rough cast parts.
They are not like the big factories "fall together kits", but they make much more realistic guns.
Getting over my initial shock. Found a series of videos where a guy puts together a TOTW Bucks County Flintlock, that with the Art of Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle book, as well as asking questions when I need to has me much more confident that I can do this. Many of the tools I already have but I'll have to pick up a few of the more specialized ones. Looking over the hardware most of it looks finished so not a lot of work to do there. My initial concerns were cutting mortises and drilling for bolts and pins, not really all that good at cutting mortises and getting my drilling straight and "on target" had me very concerned. Besides, I kinda expected a specific diagram (plan) for the putting Tulle together but there was none included. I know Dixie Gun Works has one for their Tulle, might be of some help, don't know.

You can do it ! I know the feeling of shock when you open the box and see what's involved. Just do a little reading and take on one small operation at a time. Before you know it your building a gun ! It's a lot of fun and very gratifying. Good luck with it.

Back