• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trail cleaning frequency?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The MAP controls the residue because of the Murphy's Oil soap and alcohol acting on the fouling. Your mix has Pine Sol soap to cut the fouling and any lubricating oils. Both wiping solutions will work along with about 31,787 other cleaning solutions.

AZMTNMAN,
YOU HAVE USED IT FOR 40 YEARS. SO I ASSUME YOU HAVE TESTED IT TO BE SURE IT HAS GIVEN YOU TIGHT GROUPS OVER ALL THOSE YEARS.

LET US REVIEW.
YOU FIRE YOUR RIFLE WITH A CLEAN BARREL. THE POWDER RESIDUE A SOFT COAT OF EASILY WIPED OF STUFF.
YOU DON'T WIPE, RELOAD AND FIRE A SECOND SHOY. THIS REMOVES SOME, NOY ALL, OF THE SOFT COAT , BAKES WHAT'S LEFT ONTO THE BORE AND LAYS ANOTHER SOFT COAT OF EASILY WIPED OFF RESIDUE ON TOP.
YOU FIRE A THIRD ROUND WHICH REPEATS THEPROCESS NOW BAKING ON ANOTHER COAT OF HARD RESIDUE ANDDD LEAVING YET ANOTHER COAT OF SOFT RESIDUE. YOUR BARREL IS NOW EFFECTIVELY GOTTEN SMALLER AND THE FOURTH SHOT IS MUCH HARDER TO LOAD YOUR BALL PATCH COMBINATION INTO THIS APPRECIABLE SMALLER BARREL. YOU DON'T WIPE THIS EITHER AFTER FIRING AND TO LOAD THE FIFTH SHOT REQUIRES MUCH POUNDING ON THE SHORT STARTER AND POSSIBLE USE OF A MALLET.

SO THEN YOU MUST STOP EVERYTHING AND GIVE THE BARREL A FAIRLY THOROUGH CLEANING TO REMOVE ALL THOSE BAKEDON LAYERS OF RESIDE TO RETURN YOUR BARREL TO ITS EARLIER CLEAN CONDITION AND THEN REPEAT THAT SAME PROCESS OVER AGAIN.
THE BEST WAY TO SPOT A NEWBIE AT THE RANGE WAS TO LOOK FOR SOMEONEONE POUNDING ON HIS SHORT STARTER AND USING COLORFULLANGUAGE.

THE FIRST TWO SHOTSIN THIS SERIES WERE PRETTY MUCH OUT OF THESAMESIXE BORE. THE THIRD, FOURTH AND IF POSSIBLEE FIFTH SHOTSWEREOUT OF A PROGRESSIVELY SMALLER BORE SO YOU CAREFULLY SELECTED PATCH MATERIAL ID CORRECT ONLY ONE OR TWO TIMES DURING THAT SERIES THIS HAS A BIG EFFECT ON YOU RIFLE'S ACCURACY.
NOW THERE ARE GOOD FOLKS WHO AVOID THIS BUILDING CONSTRICTION BY USING A LUBRICANT THAT IS VERY SLICK THAT PUSHES ALL THIS RESIDUE OUT OF THE WAY, APPARENTLY, AND THIS BUILD UP DOES NOT HAPPEN. WHAT DOES HAPPEN WITH THE SLICK STUFF IS THAT AS THE POWDER BEGINS TO BURN AND PRESSURE BEGINS TO BULD THEPATCHED BALL BEGINS TO MOVE OUT OF THE BARREL AND IS GONE BEFORE THE FULL COMPRESION CAUSED BY THE EXPLODING POWDER HAS FULLY DEVELOPED AND AND THE EFFECT IS MUCH THE SAME AS USING TOO WEAK A POWDER CHARGE, ABD THE ACCURACY SUFFERS.

NOW IF YOU ARE USING SOME VARIETY OF BORE BUTTER, NOT EXPERIENCING THAT RESIDUE BUILD UP AND STILL GETTING TIGHT GROUPS YOU ARE A WINNER ANDI DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW YOU ACHIEVED IT AND YOUSHOULD STICK WITH IT.

IT GENERALLY HAS BEEN MY EXPERIENCEANDA FEW HUNDREDS OF FOLKS WHO DO WELL WITH THE QUICK WIPE BETWEEN SHOTS, NOT SWABBING, NOT SCUBBING JUST A QUICK WIPE WITH MINIMAL LUBRICATION ON A SEALING PATCH WILL GIVE YOU INCREASED ACCURACY.

I WATCHED THIS HAPPEN OVER A PERIOD OF YEARS AT THE RANGE, TIME AFTER TIME, YET THIS PRACTICE IS CONSIDERED T BE CONTROVERSIAL.

DUTCH SCHOULTZ

I have changed to your system Dutch but have only gotten one rifle "accureized. Many more to go. When I dont have time to work with one I take the .54 hawkin Investarm I did get accurized.....or I take another and some hoppes. It cleans the bore the opposite direction as your swipe system. A wet PRB rammed home swabs the bore on the way down and the crud is on the powder. Load one up and look at the bore (at an angle of course) and you see CLEAN bore down to the rifling. Other than the Dutch System Hoppes is IMHO the very best patch lube available (I use one drop and squsih it around, other use more). So i am pretty sure there no baked on crud developing, 30th shot loads as easy as the 1st. It is NOT as accurate as your system though, my .54 groups went from 4" at 90 yds down to 2-3 with yer dry patch n swipe system and I WILL GET THE REST ACCURIZED as time allows! :thumbsup:

I don't know how to change the subject Title of Posts,
Sd Forgive me.

For Fellow Nutcase Accuracy nuts.

In various places I have suggested fine tuning your patch thickness, you weird folks who desire the nickel sized groups, bench rest at 50 yards I have an update.
You know how to take compressed measurements with your micrometer and I have suggested shimming your pretty dam good patch material with cigaret paper with increasing numbers of sheets to se if that minuscule addition of thickness makes an improvement.. Then taking a compresed measurement of the successful combination and then begin your search for fabric that compresses as close that as possible.
I had to replace my coffee maker and found that the big white cupcake looking filters used on most modern devices would also be an excellent shim material if you don't know any marijuana smokers to borrow the old style cigarette paper from.

Back in 1981, two layers of cigarette papers brought my groups down to a nickel groups and increase in compressed thickness as .005 if I remember correctly, Off to the fabric shop and found some denim that crushed the same amount and bout 9 broad yards of it and never had to shop for patching again

I know this is just silliness to most of you but taking a raptly old neglected rifle and quicklytightening up its capability makes (made) my heart sing.

Dutch, I've bought your system and have used it successfully. ..but I was interested in getting thru a trail walk without having the necessity of wiping between shots as time is of the essence! Also not so much intent on winning a match as just having some fun...besides these old eyes ain't what they used to be! LOL

Kodiak13,
For trail walks I think you could get by with swipe after every two shots, Possibly three shots
Tell me about the effect of old eyes. I cannot get a driver's license or read any of these posts without a magnifying glass after hitting the enlargement buttons four times..

The real trouble from not giving your barrel a quick wipe usually shows up big time after the third shot. You'll have to experiment and get back to us.

My search for accuracy is to ensure a "One Shot, One KIll " approach to hunting..

I think everyone agrees that placement of your shot when hunting is the most important part of the rocess.

My daughter had some property along one of Missouti's Mark Twain forests and witnessed the results of the tragedy of deer showing up dead on the forest's bordering barb wire fencing in terrible condition brought down quite a while after being hit by a badly placed shot that caused ultimate death from the infection of a badly placed rifle shot.

A trail walk isn't the same thing, I don't believe as a normal hunting situation.

A trail walk is a set up allowing you to spend an imaginary time defending yourself during a walk in the woods.

With my vision I would never have been able to complete the walk as surly I would have been eaten by an imaginary bear..

Dutch

Grenadier 1758,

I think you underestimate the number of cleaning solvents.
I feel mine is just one of a million. The only person to judge the effectiveness of any product is the user himself. If he doesn't get the usual build up of hard residue and doesn't wet his following powder charge it should be OK.

I got my recipe from a very old timerm now surly long dead, who was doing wonderful things with a remarkably beatt up old rifle that had a major crack in the stock wrapped in tape.

I don't think there is anyone who feels that he has discovered the ONLYway to achieve accuracy.
I try to show at least one way that has worked for me and now several thousand others wwho otherwise were not having any luck on their own.

The biggest mistake in thinking I witnessed at the range was people thinking that if they were more MANLY, whatever that is, they would automatically be better shots. I believe in Los Angeles this is called "Cimmiting Macho".
Thesee are extremely difficult people to coach, as any suggestion is interpreted as a criticism of heir manliness.
Accuracy and shooting in general is all a matter of physics. Percy Dovetonsilswill shoot better than Big Ed Beareater if he is doing it right by the rules of physics and Beareater is not.

I have had trouble trying to get develop their load buy doing their experimentation shooting bench rest. . They refuse to do this because when they will be hunting they will not be shootiting bench rest. So they never learn if their missed shots are the rifle's fault or their own fault

Dutch Schoultz

Dutch, cousin Kevin and I hit the range yesterday on the back end of my property. It's only a 50 yard range but has a nice solid covered bench. Kevin has new TVM barely broken in yet. He got a very good lesson in how wind will effect a ball even at 50 yards! Yesterday while very nice temperature wise it was very breezy with a steady gusty wind from the north. I would wait for a calm spell before touching off a shot and my grouping was under an inch. Kevin never took the wind into affect and his groups were around 3 inches.
He couldn't figure out why I was getting better groups than him! I explained to him about the wind and how it could affect the flight of a round ball even at such short distances. Instead of being bull headed (macho) he heeded my advice and his groups shrunk to under an inch too! He couldn't wipe the smile off his face :) and learned a valuable lesson! Just one more aspect of shooting ML that few take into account. :doh:

Latest posts

Back