• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Too many dumb questions for one post!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I read threads of guys talking gun shop, and sometimes I find

myself lost. I clipped a few that throwd me…

Mostly I’m swimming in water over my head here, but these stuck out

“This results in a slight difference in the length of pull, which is 13-3/4" for the 1841 and 13-1/2" for the Zouave. Both have a drop at the heel of 2-3/4".

Length from trigger to butt?

“Lehigh Valley guns usually had the wrist wider than the height at the tail of the lock and then it transitions toward the comb to higher than wide”

Not a clue!

“The stock is very "deep throated" on the bottom and thick at the top by the barrel tang”

Again, not sure I get it

“My goal was to reduce the throat of the stock a bit and to create a straighter line from the tang down to the comb”

Profiling I think, the line part is a bit of a mystery

“Then notice the top of the wrist is fairly straight angling down to the comb”

Again profile. The comb is the top edge/ line on the back of the stock?

“The Brown Bess is one of my specialties and keep in mind that apron has fairly low relief.”

Aghrrrr…

“Stock has a pull of about 13 5/8” and a drop of approximately 2 3/4” and cast off of approximately 3/16"

2 3/4” drop from what to what? And is castoff something less than a straight line from muzzle to butt plate?

“43.25” custom profiled barrels. Breech 1.125” and waist approximately .800”.

I know it means tapered, but is the waist the middle of barrel or the muzzle?

I know that’s a lot of questions, but most apply to gunstocks. Maybe someone could point me in the right direction.

Well, most of those descriptions I understand simply because I'm more or less familiar with the terminology. Yes, a couple are confusing but most are fairly clear.

I read threads of guys talking gun shop, and sometimes I find

myself lost. I clipped a few that throwd me…

Mostly I’m swimming in water over my head here, but these stuck out

“This results in a slight difference in the length of pull, which is 13-3/4" for the 1841 and 13-1/2" for the Zouave. Both have a drop at the heel of 2-3/4".

Length from trigger to butt?

Distance from the center of the trigger to the center of the butt plate.

“Lehigh Valley guns usually had the wrist wider than the height at the tail of the lock and then it transitions toward the comb to higher than wide”

Not a clue!

Think of a rubber ball squeezed slightly top and bottom. A cross section of that ball would be like the stock on a Lehigh just behind the lock. Then as you move backward toward the comb you easy up on the pressure so the ball is fully round like a sphere. Then as you move further back as you approach the nose of the comb, the ball is squeezed slightly on the vertical sides.

“The stock is very "deep throated" on the bottom and thick at the top by the barrel tang”

Again, not sure I get it

“My goal was to reduce the throat of the stock a bit and to create a straighter line from the tang down to the comb”

Look at the before and after pictures on that thread. This is a test if you can "see" rather than just "look".

Profiling I think, the line part is a bit of a mystery

“Then notice the top of the wrist is fairly straight angling down to the comb”

Again profile. The comb is the top edge/ line on the back of the stock?

The comb is the raised top portion of the butt stock behind the wrist.

“The Brown Bess is one of my specialties and keep in mind that apron has fairly low relief.”

Aghrrrr…

Relief means height. The carved feature does not stick up a lot from the background wood.
“Stock has a pull of about 13 5/8” and a drop of approximately 2 3/4” and cast off of approximately 3/16"

2 3/4” drop from what to what? And is castoff something less than a straight line from muzzle to butt plate?

Drop at heel is the distance from line of sight to the top of the butt plate where it bends down to form he face.

“43.25” custom profiled barrels. Breech 1.125” and waist approximately .800”.

I know it means tapered, but is the waist the middle of barrel or the muzzle?
Waist is simply the narrowest portion of the barrel and is usually some distance back from the muzzle.

I know that’s a lot of questions, but most apply to gunstocks. Maybe someone could point me in the right direction.

Dave, as always, thanks! I want to know as much as I can but mostly I know I don’t much! I little progress every day!
Not to be a total pain, but what is cast off? Something about right or left hand stocks?

Hi,
Cast off is the deviation of the butt stock from being centered on the bore of the barrel. For a right handed shooter, cast off means the butt stock curves to the right away from your face. Generally, the deviation begins in the wrist and extends to the butt plate. Cast on means the butt stock curves to the left. The purpose is to bring your eyes into instant alignment with your proper sighting picture. It is most important for birding (fowling, shot) guns so when you shoulder the gun, you are aligned naturally and can point and shoot. That is important when a grouse bursts out in front of you and you have seconds to aim and fire. It is not so important for rifles where you can take time to snuggle your face into the cheek piece of a rifle and take deliberate slow aim at a deer.

dave

1) yes, length of pull is measured from the trigger to the middle of the buttplate.
2) Think of an oval with the longest measurement either perpendicular or horizontal. On lehigh guns, a cross-section of the wrist at the lock has the long measurement horizontal, while at the comb the long measurement is perpendicular.
3) and 4) Can't tell you.... I have never heard the term "deep throated" applied to a gun stock.
5) Yes, the comb is the top edge of the buttstock
6) Again, I don't know what "apron" is referring to.
7) Imagine a line down the center of the bore extending over the buttstock. Drop is measured from that line. Dave has explained cast off/on far better than I could.
8) I would gather that "waist" is referring to the smallest measurement of width on a swamped barrel. It is odd there is not a mention of width at the muzzle.

Latest posts

Back