• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tips for dovetail a swapped barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has not been mentioned but you can layout your pins to miss the thinnest portion of the waist.

54ball said:
This has not been mentioned but you can layout your pins to miss the thinnest portion of the waist.

Now you're on to something. And, while we're on the subject, do we really NEED more than 1 pin anyway? I mean, the tang bolt holds that end down, and the 1 at the muzzle does that end. The middle ones stop the middle from sagging, but they really aren't needed that muck. Many many half stock guns are secured with just 1 pin or wedge.

Yes yes I know that traditionally we DO use 3 or 4 though on most full stocked LR's.

I'm with Stophel on this one. Just too much real stuff to worry about. And if you are worried about dovetailed lugs you should be measuring your wall thickness, doing the math and knowing your limits. I have ruined two barrels sawing too deep at the waist, but have made over 100 guns that are still going strong.

If you are worried about leaded steel buy a different barrel. I'd use all wrought iron if I could afford and get them, but that's just me.

Latest posts

Back