• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thompson center help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr. greene

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello all, new here and a total novice to the muzzle loader world. I have a question regarding a Thompson Center rifle, backstory on this is I found this at a shop in California about 30 years ago and bought it cheap for my dad because he wanted a wall hanger to decorate his man cave. It’s marked Thompson center arms Rochester New Hampshire Cal 50 between the hammer and rear sight and I can’t find any other visible markings, no serial number or anything. Is the serial number hidden on these or do they not have one. If you could provide any info I would seriously appreciate it. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2014.jpeg
    IMG_2014.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2015.jpeg
    IMG_2015.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2016.jpeg
    IMG_2016.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
there should be a ser.# on the left side of the barrel in about the same location as the Thompson lettering on the right

Well, I’ve taken the barrel completely out of the stock and looked with really bright lighting and I can’t see any signs of one ever being there. Not sure what this is all about, has anyone ever heard of this? A Thompson Center with no serial number,

Not seeing a patchbox & no brass fittings you have a T/C Renegade. As to the serial numbers it is as previous posters noted. Should be on left hand side of barrel. I have two Renegades, one is a recent Frankenmuzzlestein project with a six digit serial number. The other is a kit I built in 1981 with a serial number "K1014”, both .54 caliber.

Not seeing a patchbox & no brass fittings you have a T/C Renegade. As to the serial numbers it is as previous posters noted. Should be on left hand side of barrel. I have two Renegades, one is a recent Frankenmuzzlestein project with a six digit serial number. The other is a kit I built in 1981 with a serial number "K1014”, both .54 caliber.
That pic isn't very good but blown up it has brass fittings and a patch box. She's a Hawken.

So just to be clear it does have a patch box and some brass fittings, they have patina from the years I tried to take some better pics

Attachments

• IMG_2019.jpeg
    IMG_2019.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2020.jpeg
    IMG_2020.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2021.jpeg
    IMG_2021.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2022.jpeg
    IMG_2022.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Yep , a Hawken. Very highly regarded. If you can shine a light down the bore you can get an idea if it's shootable/salvageable. even if in bad condition it is possible to make it right.

Probably couldn't sell this now in a shop in California. They would probably consider it a "ghost gun". I have never seen a TC without a Serial # that had the other TC markings. Definitely a little odd.

Welcome from California.

Possibly an early TC.

The kit I purchased at a "garage sale" in Montana in 1988 did not have a serial number, only the New Hampshire manufacturer ID and location on the barrel.

Welcome from California.

Possibly an early TC.

The kit I purchased at a "garage sale" in Montana in 1988 did not have a serial number, only the New Hampshire manufacturer ID and location on the barrel.
well that kind of makes sense, just very unusual.

If you look inside the barrel channel on the stock, there might be the letter ‘K’ stamped into the wood. That would indicate it was a kit gun. If you look around the bottom flats of the barrel toward the breach end, there could be a ‘K’ there. If there are no markings like that, then it more than likely is a factory rifle, or the builder filed it off the barrel etc.

Still, a very good rifle. I’ve had mine over forty years, built from a kit. No worries or problems. Very accurate and reliable. :thumb::cool:

If you look inside the barrel channel on the stock, there might be the letter ‘K’ stamped into the wood. That would indicate it was a kit gun. If you look around the bottom flats of the barrel toward the breach end, there could be a ‘K’ there. If there are no markings like that, then it more than likely is a factory rifle, or the builder filed it off the barrel etc.

Still, a very good rifle. I’ve had mine over forty years, built from a kit. No worries or problems. Very accurate and reliable. :thumb::cool:
I’ll look underneath the barrel at the channel, doesn’t look like it had been filed down, the flats all look uniform and I really don’t see why someone would take the time to do that on a black powder rifle. I never thought anything of it because I have some old shotguns and .22 rifles that don’t have numbers on them but I was curious on this after seeing people post theirs. Anyway an interesting dilemma, worst case is I give it to my nephew that lives up in the mountains of Montana and traps and hunts I’m sure he’d get a good use out of it

Interesting on no serial number. Just a WAG, could the barrel have been replaced early in its life due to a defect? If it was, would the replacement barrel have had a serial number. TC did have the lifetime warranty.

Latest posts

Back