• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thompson/Center Arms Hawken Questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,
A friend of mine recently acquired a TC Hawken rifle and had some questions that I thought would be best referred to you folks.
As you probably know this reproduction has a 28" barrel and is half stocked. It's in really nice condition.
-How can one tell with these muzzleloaders whether it is loaded or not? The is no cap, obviously, but he wanted me to check that there were no ball or powder in the barrel. Sorry for the naive question, but I have little if any experience with muzzleloaders.
-The Serial number on the rifle is K59363. I believe that many of these rifles were made in the '70's, but am wondering if there is a chart available which would indicate the year of manufacture.
Any assistance you might provide this novice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks much,
Greg Cooke
Centennial, CO

drop the ram rod down the bore and mark it at the muzzle.
remove rammer and lay it on the barrel with mark at muzzle.
if it goes to the breech plug it is clear.
second method is to run air from a compressor down the barrel and feel for air coming out the nipple.
third is cap that puppy and snap it. see if it fires. this method is best done out doors unless you have a very understanding spouse.

Agree with Deerstalker and Boomerang.

Also, I have been able to remove the nipple and shine a small but bright LED light into the drum and been able to look down the bore and get some illumination of the breech. If you get the right angle shining the light in it does get some light into the breech. This of course is assuming the flash channel is not plugged

Latest posts

Back