• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The last of the trade guns .

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was at a gun show today and low a behold there was a late 1800s percussion smoothbore (28gauge ) trade gun that was found in a warehouse in Winnipeg Manitoba in the 1960s .The barrel was packed full of grease still as was the nipple ,he said he had gotten 3 of them and had sold the other 2 to a collector because the serial numbers were inline with one another .The gun has a 36” barrel and the big bow trigger gaurd ,any body have any idea what it may be worth as I didn’t press him and he was asking for offers. I know I should have taken pictures but I don’t have a smart phone but may be able to get some after the weekend ,it looked to be in good condition with a few scuffs.
walt

I was at a gun show today and low a behold there was a late 1800s percussion smoothbore (28gauge ) trade gun that was found in a warehouse in Winnipeg Manitoba in the 1960s .The barrel was packed full of grease still as was the nipple ,he said he had gotten 3 of them and had sold the other 2 to a collector because the serial numbers were inline with one another .The gun has a 36” barrel and the big bow trigger gaurd ,any body have any idea what it may be worth as I didn’t press him and he was asking for offers. I know I should have taken pictures but I don’t have a smart phone but may be able to get some after the weekend ,it looked to be in good condition with a few scuffs.
walt
Opps that should be 24 gauge sorry .

Need pictures. Lots of old original guns were were put up and forgotten, it could be the real thing!

walt
The basic NW pattern could have been made past 1900.
There seems to be no definite cut off. A lot of this may come from guns in inventory and not actually produced.
I may be wrong but that’s how I understand it.

In the '70's I saw two that a fellow had picked up in British Colombia that sound like the one in the OP. They had a rear sight made by curling up metal on the top flat and filing a notch in it. Pretty crude and probably useless.

"They had a rear sight made by curling up metal on the top flat and filing a notch in it."
I have several NW guns (reprodustions and originals) two have the curled up metal with a files notch in them - this methods works better than trying to sight off the tang screw as seen in the video just provided with Jonathan shooting another one of my NW guns. An inexpensive method that was not that uncommon.

They had a rear sight made by curling up metal on the top flat and filing a notch in it. Pretty crude and probably useless.
"

The basic NW pattern could have been made past 1900.
There seems to be no definite cut off. A lot of this may come from guns in inventory and not actually produced.
I may be wrong but that’s how I understand it.
Hanson told us they were still made into the early 1900, but now they looked like an H&R single shot shotgun, the museum had several examples of these NW Trade Guns. I screwed up as he wanted to sell me one and I passed on it !@#$%

"The last of the trade guns" (title isn't correct per Museum of the Fur Trade Charley Hanson when still alive in 1997). A year before Charley's death he showed be a stamped NW Trade Gun built in the 1930's it looked like an H&R single shot muzzleloading shotgun (in 20 gauge). A month later he called to tell me he found another one and wanted to know if I was interested. I had to pass on the purchase at the time, short on funds.

I had forgotten about this until seeing this posting.

In the picture below is one of the guns mentioned along with my pre 1816 Sharpe NW Gun.

Attachments

• earlt 1900 hondreds tradegun.jpg
    earlt 1900 hondreds tradegun.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
trade guns are still made North west types India Italy one of the most common trade guns were made in Spain by Dikker and Mendi 9mm 410 and 28 end 20 gauge crude but shootable percussion smooth bores for third world Brazil Amadeo Rossi primary business was making things out of sheet metal and trade muskets for the Indians neat little 3 band percussion muskets 48 call and 9 mm smooth bore very light but shoot ok .these were made up the Late 1970s .trade musket .were produced in Mexico as well a common one a neat 28 and 20 gauge percussion single shotgun made By Atlas in Mexico.England made and sold Trade guns both English made and Belgian.The Belgians were by far the largest producer of trade muskets in the world from the late 18th century to the early 1980 s Both early ones and latter ones are common in the US and Canada as large numbers were distributed from 1800 to the 1980s

Latest posts

Back