• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The India-made Untouchables

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AZbpBurner said:
This is all interesting info, whether factual or speculation, and has give4n me a more positive perspective on the India-made guns.

A few years ago I saw that appeared to be an old, authentic musket of some sort. It had 'Tower' and a crown on the lock, and, although the metal was stained and discolored, it looked to be an original to me - at least until I was able to pick it up, and look it over. The wood-to-metal fitting was poorly done, there were a lot of file marks on metal and wood, and it looked like the brass parts were fit by assembling them onto the wood, and then filing/sanding/grinding it all to shape. The price was a few hundred bucks, but it looked like low enough quality that I'd hesitate to fire it, even though it was obvious it had been fired a lot already.

More recently I saw a Bess that looked to be original, except that some of the brass looked too clean and unused. It, also was India-made. The workmanship was better, but having read about some cutlery company that sold India "originals", either with rotted wood, or newly manufactured stocks on supposedly anciently made Indian parts, I was still skeptical about shooter quality on all India-made products.

Additionally, I've seen some flintlock pistols of reasonable fit & finish that were from India, and the shooters seemed pleased with them. I don't recall seeing any ignition problems with them.

So, based on the final info I've gotten here, and after looking at some other links, I'll be ordering a fusil here in the next few weeks or months. I like .62 cal, and a shorter barrel and lighter weight than a full-length musket.

There are complaints/observations that these India-made guns aren't authentic looking. None of my Investarms rifles are 'authentic' design, either, but since I shoot for my own amusement, I'm not really too concerned.

Couldn't agree with you more :thumbsup:

Back