• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Dark side of Hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I thought I'd start this thread after a conversation last night that led down bad memory lane. As many of you know I am a paraplegic and need wheels to get around. Being a very determined individual, I never let it get in the way of hunting and have used various ATV type vehicles to get me into and out of trouble err I mean hunting areas. Much of the time I hunt alone. Kind of scary today when I think way back and remember getting up at 3:30 am on a cold morning, bundling up and driving 2 miles down a dirt road, crossing over a highway and driving another 1/4 mile just to check into State property and then drive to an area to sit and hunt. Almost every day...god I remember some cold mornings wondering why the hell I left a nice warm bed to do this...but thats who I was and in some ways still am. Through the years I have met along the way a cast of characters, most were polite and helpful. Most were quite surprised to see someone like me doing what I was doing which led to some interesting conversations. Unfortunately when dealing with people, theres always going to be a bad apple or two in the bunch and I've sadly ran into a couple of those myself along the way. I had two individuals take advantage of the fact I could not walk and try to steal animals from me, both big bucks causing them to suffer from antleritis. It still makes me physically ill to go back there and remember the BS I was put through in both cases. One clearly did not care about the friendship I thought we had forged together. The only other bad moment I had was being setup on a piece of property that only I had permission to be on and right at first light I saw a nice buck coming through the laurel which would put him in a logging road broadside to me at 35 yards with four or five more steps. As I brought my gun up and readied myself something caught my left eye and I turned to see a kid who was told to stay off the property by the owner standing at a dangerous angle to my left. I held my gun up and motioned him to get back as the buck walked out into the road, perfect shot but I wouldn't shoot and could only sit there in disbelief. Next thing I knew POW! A load of buckshot was thrown in my direction, slapping all around me so close one or two pellets sent dirt flying into my CATV! I watched in shock as the buck stumbled stayed on his feet and ran off. I don't think I ever was as scared and shook as bad ever as I did that day. I went home that day and never went back to that piece of property ever again. So, over the years I've had 3 bad encounters while hunting. How about you?

First year I went hunting it was towards the end of the season and two friends were pushing a hillside while I sat at a funnel/exit in heavy cover beside a shale/rocky stream-bed at the base that cut trough the brush. Sure enough an eight-point came tip-hoofing by in the thick stuff beside the creek. My first shots (FIVE!) hit saplings and still he walked. Did I mention it was thick cover? I had time to reload my M37 Deerslayer and, finally, I knocked him down with a heart shot.

As I stood "woo-hoop"ing, a Jeep came blowing down the stream, pulled up and two guys hopped out (with shotguns ready & in the front) and approached me. I said "Hi" and they started to spread to either side of me. Just as my smile faded one of my friends appeared and, seeing something odd, gave a whistle (he had a GREAT, loud whistle I was always jealous of). The two guys stopped and turned towards him. At that point my second friend yelled from 90° off to their side "Did you get him?"

I yelled "Yep!"

At that point, not having said a word even though they were 20 feet away from me, the two got back in their Jeep and went back upstream the way they had come.

Would not have gone in my favor, I don't think, had I been alone.

I'm sitting right now looking at a rifle that's still waiting for someone to claim.

Guy took two shots at me, and started to run when I put one back over his head. He gets to running faster when he got the timing right for that big old belly flopping up and down in time with his steps. He stumbled and fell and came back up running without his rifle.

I retrieved it and went to town. Reported it all, then stopped in the various sporting goods stores and hung FOUND RIFLE- I.D. AND CLAIM signs on the bulletin boards after telling my story to the store owners.

Lots and lots of folks been waiting a long time for someone to claim that rifle.

Come to think of it, I probably should have checked the ER for a fat guy with a stroke, heart attack or pulled gut muscles. :rotf:

Been lucky I guess, no really bad experiences for me personally. A few times I had bullets zinging around me, once was intentional by kids with their dad's .22. I guess they thought it was funny. :cursing:

The darkest side of hunting I've seen revolves around poaching. Call it poaching, mistaken shots, joy killing, makes me sick. Too many times I've walked up on shot up dead does in bucks only seasons, or a rotting cow elk carcass during bull season. Whenever I see this, I always picture a bunch of a-holes just emptying their guns at whatever moves in front of them and then yelling YEEHAW! I do hope there is a hell, with a special corner just for these pieces of (excrement). And demons yelling YEEHAW every time they skewer one with a pitchfork. Yay-a. Bill

I was hoping to introduce a co-worker of mine from Michigan to the delights of elk hunting. This was back when bugleing just became popular, and I had one that was made from gas pipe. I took him into some black timber, we separated about 50 yards. I bugled on my gas pipe, and pretty soon a forky bull came trotting through the trees. The bull turned broadside, textbook, for my friend Bob, and he shot. The bull took off down through the timber, and we waited for about 15 minutes while Bob described where he hit the bull at short range. We got up and folloed the blood trail through the timber. Up ahead, we saw some hunter orange. There was a guy standing over Bob's bull, and claiming it-he had not fired a shot. It was two against one, but Bob didn't want this to escalate into a fight. He said it wasn't worth it.
As it came out later in the season, Bob shot a nice 5-point (nine shots from his semi-auto). We loaded that bull into the back of my Bronco and took it back to the cabin, got it hung in a tree, and the next morning his wife came with his truck, and he loaded the bull into his truck and left me to hunt alone. Two slob hunters.

I have had several bad days out hunting over the years. In about 1980, I was part of a drive along the shore of the Miss. river, pushing the heavy forest and brush that grew there, when some jerk began firing at us with a high power rifle from Missouri. His shots were going high, and he was behind my friends as they ran across an open spot, but I could not run, and waited to see if he would run out of ammo. He must have had two 30-round magazines, because he just kept firing, the bullets coming down lower with each new guy who ran across the open space, and his bullets getting closer to the guys. So, I turned my shotgun shooting rifled slugs up at a 45 degree angle, and fired 3 slugs at the place over in Missouri where I felt he had to be. I picked up my empties, reloaded the gun, and limped out across the opening. When I joined the others in the woods on the otherside, one of said "Look". I turned around to see someone running along the skyline in Missouri, through a gap, pumping his arms, without any gun in either hand.

Another time, I was scouting a farm to hunt before the season with a friend who was managing the place for the owner, when he kicked a couple of rabbit hunters off the place for hunting without permission,and in violation of the posted No Hunting signs they parked their truck next to!

Later when we were far back in the woods, 3/4 mile from the car, these two guys came over with a third guy, the first two carrying pump shotguns with the actions closed, their fingers on the triggers, and the guns at low port. The third man was an archer with a broadhead nocked on the bowstring of his compound bow.

My friend talked to them, and listen to their threats to kill him for denying them the right to hunt that property, and I could tell that the two guys had fortified their courage from a bottle between the time they were thrown off, and when this second encounter occurred. It was getting ugly. I had taken a position to their right, and my friend's left, and they apparently didn't see me when they first approached. During the threats and curses, the guy in the middle with the shotgun turned and saw me, He did a double take. I was leaning forward with my meanest Junkyard dog look on my face, and my hand behind my back holding my revolver. I didn't blink when he looked at me. I think that unnerved him. He lowered his voice, stopped swearing, and stopped threatening to kill my friend, so much that his other buddy with the shotgun, standing to his left, look over at him, and saw me two. Another double take. Another man who lowered his voice, and stopped threatening my friend. This so bothered the archer, that he also turned around and saw me, finally, and quickly turned back away from me.

I was still concerned because no one took their finger off those triggers, and the archer didn't take that broadhead arrow of the string. When they calmed down, Don explained who owned the property, ( anti-hunter) who had hired him to take care of the property, and find some way to stop all the damage to the fruit trees the owner had planted. Deer love the sweet bark of fruit trees, and can kill those new trees the first winter, if you don't do something to protect the trees. Don had been given permission to let some of his friend( me included) to hunt deer on the property in hopes of reducing the damage, but even he was not allowed to hunt squirrels, rabbits, and pheasants. The men accepted his statements, and agreed that if he can't hunt rabbits, he has a right to be angry that they thought they could do so. So, they turned away from me, and walked back off the property. I followed them to the corner fence post, and took a stand behind it, putting my off-hand on the top of the post and setting my feet so I could use it as a rest for my revolver, if I had to defend us from either of the hunters shooting at us with their shotguns. About 100 yds away, the archer turned and looked back at us, saw where I was standing, and quickly turned back around. He said something to the two shotgunners, and they all quickened their pace and left. When they were 200 yds away and past where the drop zone of shot would take place, I joined my friend, and we went about our business. I would not have hesitated to shoot all three of them if they raised those shotguns. I was "outgunned", and my friend was unarmed. I really had no choice, if I wanted to live, and see my friend live.

I have been hit by birdshot by other hunters on several occasions, twice by hunters on the other side of a low rise, where we didn't hear their gun shots before the pellets rained down on us. They could not see us, and the shooting was an accident. I did get hit twice in one day at a State run Dove Field, by some idiot shooting at low flying birds. I chose to leave the field rather than go find the SOB and shoot him. When I notified a DOC officer at the gate, he didn't seem to be concerned at all. "What do you expect me to do about it?" was his comment to me. I told him he could at least drive down there and past the hunters, announcing to them all that they should not be shooting at low birds, because their shot was hitting other hunters across the field. I got that 1,000 mile stare from him in response.

If someone threatens you, or shoots at you, Shoot BACK! Don't hesitate. The life you save may be your own. Plan NOW what you will do if such a situation arises. :hmm: :hatsoff: Just as happened with that friend showed up, and the two strangers bent on stealing that deer up and left, criminals are cowards, they don't like witnesses, and they want to know that they have overwhelming power before they attack someone. Don't hesitate to use strong verbal commands to stop people who are trying to flank you. Make them go back together, make them empty those guns, and make them leave, even if you have to take the guns from them. If you have a loaded gun, USE IT to address these predators. That is what they are- by the way they are acting. :hmm: :thumbsup:

Never had anything as bad as some of these storeis, and hope I never do. It scares me to know that I probably won't hesitate to shoot someone in that situation. That's one of the reasons I got out of the Army.

The area we elk hunted in when I was growing up was notorious for "tennis shoe" hunters that would run out and tag someone else's downed animal.

Worst I have seen was the last year I went deer hunting before heading off to Basic, it was myself, my dad & my brothers, along with my uncle and cousin hunting on public land. Came on a very nice white tail buck and let my cousin take the shot since he was the youngest hunter in the group. Unfortunately, buck fever set in and he missed completely which sent the buck up and over the hill and into the next county.

Didn't see anything the rest of the day and were quite surprised when the game warden pulled us over as we started towards home. Made us follow him into town to see the sherrif. Sherrif and the warden took us back out to a landowner near where we had been hunting who claimed we shot a deer and left it lay.

The deer my cousin was forced to put his tag on was a tiny little spike, barely bigger than a large dog. It was frozen stiff and looked to have been dead for at least three days. I guarentee the landowner shot it, wanted something bigger, and had been waiting for someone to pawn it off on with that :bull: story. Needless to say, none of us have gone hunting anywhere near there since.

There was a neighbor who was an anti hunter in a way, he hunted himself but did not want others hunting near his property. He would attempt to scare off deer during deer seasons by shooting a lot with semi auto firearms. This person died about 6 years ago but the people who bought his property do the same thing. One of the reasons I hunt is to enjoy the peace and quiet. Not some person shooting off 200 dollars in amo on rapid fire.

Man, I don't know if I could hack it if I had to put up with all this kind of manure. In forty years of hunting I've yet to run into anything like this stuff. You guys are way tougher than me. One thing - I always hunt alone or with only one other guy who I've known for 25 yrs and we always avoid areas where other hunters are. But, we live a long way from any cities, so that might be a big part of it. We also have mandatory hunter courses and CO's who are very strict and aggressive.

buttonbuck said:
There was a neighbor who was an anti hunter in a way, he hunted himself but did not want others hunting near his property. He would attempt to scare off deer during deer seasons by shooting a lot with semi auto firearms. This person died about 6 years ago but the people who bought his property do the same thing. One of the reasons I hunt is to enjoy the peace and quiet. Not some person shooting off 200 dollars in amo on rapid fire.
What they probably don't realize is that they are getting the deer used to gunfire. The same thing happens here, and it's college kids driving up and down the road. After they pass, the elk cross the road. :rotf:

12ga. slug blew apart a sapling 10 feet from me in a State Forest here in Ct.
Never seen who shot it.
Haven't set foot in a State Forest here since.

Unfortunately, this thread seems to circle all around what we all most dread, slob hunters. We have had some problems on our farm, but not as often as we used to. The word gets out and soon your troubles are allot less. It will never go away entirely, but I have the law on speed dial in my cell ph. and I have and will use it. No one will threaten me on my own ground. He just doesn't know I called them in until the law shows up. No hunt is worth stealing a deer from another hunter, no law abiding person should be shot at. No one should threaten our right to legally hunt, by using force. Let the law do their job and allow us to keep a good relationship with the public.

Reading these stories makes writing those lease dues checks alot easier....luckily the sheriff and cheif deputy of the county oversee the oilwells around most of our leases. We dont have many problems... I dont hunt public land tho...

bucktales said:
12ga. slug blew apart a sapling 10 feet from me in a State Forest here in Ct.
Never seen who shot it.
Haven't set foot in a State Forest here since.

I didn't even count such incedents as "evil". I have been cutting through a cornfield and heard the zip - ZIP - ZIP! -Zip -zip of a slug passing by me. Have had slugs slap the tree above me. Got to be so I just avoided ALL state lands and certain areas near roads for the first two weeks of regular season.

a few years back I got a nice cow elk down started to clean it up and I here hey you blank blank thats my cow!!!! so I said ok when ya shoot it? gal said ten min. ago ok what type of bullet you use. she asked me why very p.o. now. I said becuase I fond the bullet. I'm still calm but she lit the fuse... so she showed me. a sabot. I took the bullet out of the cow and it's a flattend out conical. just like the one and my bag. now her man shows up said it was hers told him don't think so. said fine we'll get the gammey said fine I'll call him. so I did. now the guy and gal gets nervice guy said no reson to get all upset over it and call the law. NOW I'm hot told him bull sit down and wait will get this figuered out. gammey shows up looks at the elk. showed him my bullets and the 1 recoved from the elk. she shows him her bullet gammey looks at them and said... leave this guy alone! it's only oveuos who shot this cow! then he checked or tags then or guns. hers wasn't loaded nor fired... wissel clean bore.

Stumpkiller said:
Got to be so I just avoided ALL state lands and certain areas near roads for the first two weeks of regular season.

Since I really don't have hunting options other than state or federal land in one place or another I have come to also avoid the first week of regular gun season. Some guys around here drive deer by walking through the woods shooting into the air, it sounds like a running skirmish all day on the first day, no joke. Absolutely not enjoyable to be in the woods. I don't hunt Saturdays ever, and we're not allowed to hunt Sundays, and after the first week of regular deer I rarely run into anyone during the week.

During muzzleloading season or archery season I might run into a couple people occasionally. There's usually a bit of tension, like I'm hogging their private hunting spot, but once I say I'm squirrel hunting I get smiles and suggestions of where they saw some. Seems fine as long as I'm not competing for "their" deer.

I lease land or join a club to hunt in NC or SC. If I hunt public land, it's usually only during archery or muzzleloader, because I just don't want to be out there during general firearms.

I have a different spin to the dark side of hunting. I used to be an assistant district attorney, and prosecuted wildlife violations in a 5 county district in eastern NC. Since I was a hunter and followed the rules, I vigorously prosecuted trespassers and spotlighters. I would also routinely ask the court to confiscate the rifle or weapon used during the offense, and was usually very successful at it. Several times, I was approached in court by defendants or their family members asking me to not confiscate the rifle because it was a family heirloom, etc. My response was always "they should not have used it in a crime." Sometimes defense attorneys would threaten me with "if you try to take the rifle, we'll try this case" as if that was supposed to scare me. That resulted in a trial with the rifle being taken after a finding of guilt in most cases. One time I prosecuted two guys from out of state for bear hunting. They hired an expensive lawyer and a "bear expert" who turned out to be some guy that watched bears a lot. The trial was long and comical. They spent a lot of money on their lawyer, then were fined large fines and lost their rifles as well. Their "bear expert" actually helped convict them unintentionally. That was one of the most satisfying parts of my job. My heart goes out to some of the people that have posted on here. I've never been threatened or approached by armed individuals while hunting. That is sad.

Since I legally started hunting in 1948 at the age of 16 on private and public lands, haven't had any negative "events", ever. Hunted deer, rabbits, ruffed grouse and squirrel in Wisconsin for 62 yrs now and haven't met a "slob hunter". Also hunted elk in Montana and Colorado on private and public lands for quite a few yrs and haven't met a "slob hunter" in these states either. Lucky? I don't think so.....Fred

Man, Swampy, you got my blood BOILING with those stories. I'm seeing RED, for God'ssake!

I know there's a lot of manure involved in a self defense shooting, so much so that when push comes to shove we just want to avoid the bureaucratic nightmare that can swallow us up.

But......Have you ever thought of carrying a piece in case you ever run into those kind of cretins again?

The unfortunate thing is you're probably better off NOT to.......Man, I really hate modern times!

flehto said:
Since I legally started hunting in 1948 at the age of 16 on private and public lands, haven't had any negative "events", ever. Hunted deer, rabbits, ruffed grouse and squirrel in Wisconsin for 62 yrs now and haven't met a "slob hunter". Also hunted elk in Montana and Colorado on private and public lands for quite a few yrs and haven't met a "slob hunter" in these states either. Lucky? I don't think so.....Fred
Like I said, Fred, you've had a sheltered life.

Back