• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The broken rifle and the daughter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Austin

32 Cal
Reaction score
My last rifle was for my 12 year old daughter...she's 54 now. I did all the inletting with a three cornered file I ground into a chisel. Finished,I took her away from her fave TV show and handed it to her. I had to bully her into shooting it. Two shots took out the X in a .22 target...25 yards. The barrel was a bored out to .32 and rifled. A Mauser piece of junk. Left the chamber end round ...two wedding rings and hex tapered the rest of the way. I made the sights, ramrod ferrules trigger, triggerguard and buttplate out of scrap steel. The lock is something I got in a trade. I had a smith thread the barrel and tang. The rest is on me. Stain is steelwool dissolved in nitric acid and neutralized with baking soda...several applications. Finish is hot linseed oil and beeswax...26 coats.

Two shots...she said.."Satisfied?" "Yes" She thrust it at me. She never shot it again. When she turned 50 she asked if I still had it. "Yes...but..." "But what?" "I broke it..." "And?" "I lost the broken forestock...and the barrel, the triggerguard and floorplate and buttplate." "DADDY!" "I still have the lock....it's broke but it looks like a lock.." "Fix it. I wanna hang it over the fireplace. But I don't want it to shoot." So...the barrel is in the wood. She's gonna have to do the rest.

Attachments

• 882659E4-0C45-48B9-9E26-A7175931F7CD_1_201_a.jpeg
    882659E4-0C45-48B9-9E26-A7175931F7CD_1_201_a.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 8
We used to go to the shoots all over Central Wyoming and South center Montana and Custer South Dakota. We started when the kids were little. When we moved to Lewistown MT she was in Highschool. Fergus County High School had a shooting...she was in the room across the hall. Hates guns.

Last edited:
i guess after she tore the X out in two shots, what was the point of shooting anymore, been there done that,,,,,,,,,,,,:)
Sounds like my girl. I took her fishing once and had to bait the hook etc. She caught three trout (her limit as an unlicensed kid back then) before I got a line in the water. After about 5 min of me sitting there enjoying the day she says (loud enough for all others to hear) "Dad? Can't we go now, yer not very good at this". Hootn n hollern all over the lake. I made her stay till I caught my 6 though! Same daughter last summer out shot me with my new .36 Pietta (from billinoregon) first time out.

Sounds like my girl. I took her fishing once and had to bait the hook etc. She caught three trout (her limit as an unlicensed kid back then) before I got a line in the water. After about 5 min of me sitting there enjoying the day she says (loud enough for all others to hear) "Dad? Can't we go now, yer not very good at this". Hootn n hollern all over the lake. I made her stay till I caught my 6 though! Same daughter last summer out shot me with my new .36 Pietta (from billinoregon) first time out.
Embarrassing ain't it.

I consider myself a pretty good shot. Wife best me too first time shooting a high powered rifle. She had never touched a gun or eaten wild meat when we married. AND was a dem. Killed her first deer when oldest in the womb. Two years later a cow elk with a muzzleloader. Now a staunch rep. (Headed toward conservative or ind). Women are just natural good shots IMHO.

I consider myself a pretty good shot. Wife best me too first time shooting a high powered rifle. She had never touched a gun or eaten wild meat when we married. AND was a dem. Killed her first deer when oldest in the womb. Two years later a cow elk with a muzzleloader. Now a staunch rep. (Headed toward conservative or ind). Women are just natural good shots IMHO.
I read an article..I think it was in Sports Afield...the author proclaimed that women can not see game.. I made the mistake of telling my wife that. So...we're driving up the Red Grade road on our way to Bear Lodge in the Big Horns of Wyoming. And she said stop. I did. "There's an elk on that ridge." Not. Atleast I couldn't see one. She pointed. Nope. She got out the binoculars and lined me up...ain't happening. Finally she honked the horn. Huge elk leaped up from the brambles. Well...I never told her she couldn't see game again...but she never passed up the chance to point out one I didn't see. She did that a lot. The wench!

Latest posts

Back