• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The best non BP choice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Specifically, which of the faux BP powder products is the best for use with a patched round ball in a caplock rifle and why? Please don't waste time saying that subs are for sissies or other such time-wasting comments, and yes, I am aware of the additional corrosive properties of BP substitutes. Thanks for all who offer their wisdom.

T7

Crappy Spanish barrels love the stuff.

Attachments

• Jukar .45 Rifle (4).jpg
    Jukar .45 Rifle (4).jpg
    438.7 KB · Views: 0
Actually it is whatever you can get. 777 works fine as do the other BP propellant substitutes. BH209 is arguably the best but it is very expensive though.

which of the faux BP powder products is the best for use with a patched round ball in a caplock rifle and why?
Though many love it, personally not a fan of Pyrodex because of corrosion issues. I have seen stainless pitted from the stuff. T7 performs similar to Pyrodex and is a bit more energetic, plus doesn’t seem to have the corrosive properties of Pyrodex, though it has a reputation of leaving a tough crud ring in the bore that may need to be addressed. In limited testing found it more difficult to light up consistently with percussion caps and would only use in hunting situations with musket caps to avoid disappointment. Both Pyrodex and T7 have reputations of degrading because of moisture, and personally will put desiccant packs in either after initial opening. Exception would be if one lived in the desert or arid climate. Shockey’s stuff was easy to clean, but gave inconsistent velocities. Not a fan.

It all depends what you can easily get locally. Guessing Ohio is very restrictive as far as what you can purchase locally and store.

2F T7.
Use a hot-shot styled nipple. My preferred nip is the Knight Red Hot. It has an .032 orifice and will accept all #11 caps
With either a drum or snail type breech, be sure to "rap/knock" the side of the rife after dumping the powder charge to be sure the powder is in the fire channel.
A clean and dry fire channel is always key, but more so with the high temp burn rate of the subs.
p.s. preferred cap is RWS 1076, 1076+ or CCI Mag
p.p.s the stuff is spendy now-a-days $30+ in my neck of the woods!

Last edited:
Specifically, which of the faux BP powder products is the best for use with a patched round ball in a caplock rifle and why? Please don't waste time saying that subs are for sissies or other such time-wasting comments, and yes, I am aware of the additional corrosive properties of BP substitutes. Thanks for all who offer their wisdom.

Waste of time, use real Black Powder

Whatever is the easiest to find. They all work.

My experience with Pyrodex is that it needs a hotter ignition than BP. Regular caps ignite BP just fine. With Pyrodex, I must always snap a cap in between shots. Failing to do this once, I might get away with it. Failing twice, I'll be getting a hang fire. Using homemade caps helps as those things are just plain hotter.

It makes a difference. I have a few that perform best with T7 (accuracy and velocity) and some that are best with Pyro RS or P. One cap rifle is unreliable with T7 but totally reliable with Pyro P. I think you either use what you can get or you get more than one and figure out what works best.

Back