• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

tents

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RZ:

My wife's uncle, a guide & outfitter who based out of Alamosa, CO for summer fishing and fall hunting trips unfailingly treated his tents with a product called Canvak before the start of every hunting season. He would pitch the tents one day, let them stretch overnight, tighten the ropes and paint on the compound the next day.

On new tents he would pitch and wet them down with a hose and let dry several times before applying the compound. On both old and new tents he would hold back some of the compund and apply a second dose along the ridge pole area.

Regards,

White Fox

:thumbsup: good idea should of thought of it. can you spray it on? can you put it over an older tent ?
roger

Cabela's is one source of canvak. Thompson's water seal should not be used. Although you will find lots of information online about using water seal to waterproof tents, if you dig deep enough you will find reasons not to use it.

I have had my white canvas tent for going on 15 years and have never had to waterproof it. Does your tent leak? If not, leave it alone.

Many Klatch

Actually I tried the advice Manny gave me yesterday in a PM I had sent to him regarding the same thing.

He advised me to get in the tent while the sprinkler was running over the top of the UNtreated canvas to see if it would leak, and if not then it would be good to go.

I did just that except I directected the sprayer of the hose to come right down on the tent as would happen in a good downpoor. Got in the tent and nary a drop of water came in it. The only time water was seen in it was if I touched the side of the tent and then it would wick away from the canvas and onto my hand and then upon removing my hand it stopped.

As far as I can see, leaving the canvas untreated is going to work well for repelling rain.

:thumbsup: Thanks Manny

Rabbit03

My canvas tents have never been treated, and they are watertight. The waterproofing treatments are good if you need them, but they will add a fair bit of weight to the tent.

I've been sleeping in my canvas tent for almost 12 years and it's never needed to be waterproofed.

And brother, I've rode out some storms!

Bob Miller said:
My canvas tents have never been treated, and they are watertight.

Me too. Canvas swells and gets tighter when wet. Unless you have a flat surface where the water can poll (bad pitching or design) the water should run right off.

I've owned several plain cotton canvas tents and tipi's and never put anything on them and never had a leaking problem. If for some reason I had to take it down wet or even damp. I set it up at home and let dry completely before storing.

Mildrew is the enemy for canvas!

Rick

Many Klatch said:
I have had my white canvas tent for going on 15 years and have never had to waterproof it. Does your tent leak? If not, leave it alone.

Many Klatch
I agree, the only times my tent leaked was in Tennessee during the infamous SE rendy about 3 years ago....then the wind was blowing so hard the rain misted through the tent. After that it was OK again. The other time was when something got on a small spot of the lodge and somehow compromised the waterproof quality. I sprayed some commercial waterproofing on the spot and cured it. The spray was listed as safe to use on canvas.

flyboy said:
Just out of curiosity, what waterproofing spray do you use?
If I remember right, it was the Kiwi Camp Dry....says it is ideal for tarps and tents, etc. We'll see next year how well it performs; got it put away for the winter.

I have to vote on no treatment. I've been using white canvas duck wall tents and lean-tos for decades which none were ever waterproofed. When the threads of the canvas get wet they swell up sealing the tent. If you push on the ceiling you stretch the fabric and you will have a drip until the tent is dried out again. Only time I had trouble was in a blizzard where we got 2 feet of snow. The weight of the snow caused the ceiling to sag and the snow build up caused the fabric to stretch and it leaked. If you waterproof it the moisture from body and breath might condence on the inside of your tent. I prefer to have a tent breathe.

:2

Joe

I just found this thread and don't want to highjack it but thought I might add one more question. I just finished making a diamond fly out of 10oz. painters canvas. I liked hearing that canvas will hold up without waterprofing it. This will cut down on my pack weight. Is it pretty normal practice to run a new one through a washer and dryer to shrink and tighten the weave? Thanks for any input.

I never liked painters canvas for anything,the weave is too loose and I found it likes to catch on fire much easier than good canvas

I washed and dried mine, then I got talking with a fella that sells Tipis and he said I'd a been better off not washing the sizing out of it, not sure what sizing is or does but anyway, I've had mine out in some pretty good rains and it does mist a little but other that that it's fine.

Stumblin Wolf,
Now you got to tell us how you know that it catches on fire quicker :grin: . I bet there is a story behind that.

Back