• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

tent repair

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trapper704

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have some %%$$##@#&**# mouse chew holes in my tent. Has anyone had any luck by glueing 2 pieces of canvas inside and out to patch this type of hole? If so what is the best kind of glue to use? I would imagine it should be something that will remain pliable. They are located 2 on the roof and 3 on the side towards the bottom. And is just glueing it better than takeing it to someone to be sewed? Thanks trapper

Like Big Lee said, sew patches on and they become like another seam to be sealed. Adds character :wink:

First off, catch the mice! Then skin 'em out, stretch, dry and soften the hides. Use a 'Speedy Sticher' to sew them on tight and proper. Coat the edges and the stitches with commercial seam sealer, shoe goo or some pc concoction of pitch and bear grease.

Trapper I've used the stuff Necchi posted, fixed a couple holes from the same sorce(mice) a couple years back n so far so good, still flexable n still keeping the rain out. Seems like pretty good stuff. And in a weird way the patchs seem to give the ol tent some character LOL, kinda worn n patched up just like me. I guess its some sort of liquid latex compound, I've used to on some leather projects too n again so far so good--just some thoughts YMHS Birdman

There's a few BIG Rendevous localy that bring in the big circut traders, folks that travel state to state.
And lot's of'm have Tear Mender for sale, I've had guy's that have been rendezvousing(?)for 20-30 years recomend the stuff.

Just don't let the jug Freeze, if it's kept with camp gear in cold storage it'll turn into like cottage cheese and not work anymore.

The repairs can handle freezing temps just fine and last through many seasons, but the product in the jug can go bad.

This isn't very HC, but it worked. I patched one up once by cutting out a decorative moon (like on an outhouse door), then coated the edges with silicone. Wife and I passed a needle and thread back and forth, through the tent wall, to crudely sew on the patch. The silicone sealed the patch, and you can't tell it's there. The patch is from yellow material, so it stands out and looks intentional, like it was put on for a joke. Bill

I already took care of them critters, they feasted fine on decon for awhile then suddenly stopped. must have gotten full. I talked to a local tentmaker and he said he would patch with glue and sew the patchs on for a $100, so think I will let him do it. I'm going to let him put a silicone stove pipe hole in while hes at it. My old metal one has the canvas a little dark brwn around the edges. Might not be PC but will let me sleep better in cold weather. Thanks for the replys Trapper

Use the Tear Mender as mentioned and learn to sail stitch. Sail needles aren't expensive and use 7 cord poly thread to sew it with.

Got good advice here. :thumbsup:

That is a strange name for your mouse you have there trapper 704. I had a rat one time, but I did not let him stay in my tent, he stayed in my home and I named him “parttar”. I got my rat a friend named “Tac”, Last I saw of old Parttar was when old Mr Tac was holding Mr Parttar gently in his mouth and took him out side to play.

Maybe you need to get Mr %%$$##@#&**# a friend like my Mr Tac. :wink: :grin:

We have neighbor cats all around us, the wife loves them for helping her till and fertilize her flowers############ I had never had any problem in my shop until this winter I was down after loseing a disk in my back and when I started to get around again I found the litttle grey vermin had invaded my domain. There is enough decon out there now to do under a bunch. Reminds me of when I was in Alaska working on the pipeline in 1970, there was a bar called The Outpost on 4th ave in Anchorage that had BB guns on the bar, to shoot the mice trying to eat the snacks on the back bar in the winter. Kind of a classy place, if your young and full of P and vinigar. :grin:

I keep my DRY canvis stored in plastic totes,
,with the canvis are several pieces of split Cedar branches.

A guy could use cedar bedding chips I `spose, but rodents don't like being around anything that has an over powering smell, they can't smell preditors.

I've heard of some folks useing scented dryer sheets

any holes i get i just put a piece of canvas over the hole and stitch it with sinew.

Had the think a few years back :cursing:
Had some sunfogger canvas , then get myself some Liquid Stitch :grin: (wife told me about)cut my patches (2) put the glue on inside patch too.
After it dried put glue in outside around hole.
Been around two years now, Boy it is the cats butt :thumbsup:
Have Fun
Phil

Latest posts

Back