• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ten Below...and Ol' Moe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was a fantastic story SpikeBuck. Thanks for sharing. I know what you mean, it is kind of bittersweet when you approach a downed animal. But I say better you get Ole Moe than mother nature. Mother is not nearly as humane. Now you have me raring to go for tomorrow.

Jeff

Very nice deer. My son used same exact bullet this oct in a hawkins .54 and exact same result (except it was a spike and passed through). Tore the top of the heart off just like your photo! My pop used a hawkins .58 525 hornady on his buffalo and he also heart shot it we recovered under skin on opposite shoulder. I swear by that bullet though I use PRB myself for deer. Average buck in AZ here is about 140-150 lbs, Jakes was a spike and it weight 120 at butcher.

azmntman said:
I swear by that bullet though I use PRB myself for deer.

My Hawken also shoots a .530 PRB very well and I've taken numerous deer with it and PRB including a couple nice bucks. I use 90 gr 777 for both and they both group about the same at 100 yards, just a little more drop with the GP bullet. I'd have never thought a 1-65 twist would allow for that kind of flexibility.

Good writing Spike!! i hope you keep a journal, it'll meean alot to your kids and grandkids.

congrats and thanks for sharing, the way you related it i could picture it like i was there....my feet even got numb :grin:

creek

Great pictures and great story spike buck. its been 30 years since ive killed anything with any sort of firearm the last 30 have been dedicated to my twisted snake long bow my bear kodiak magnum and my matthews bow and a couple of crossbow in that time 84 deer have fallen 12 pope&young 15 bull elk 2 cows bobcat coyote 3 black bears 1 bighorn sheep and more hogs then i can remember. this year is my introduction back to muzzleloading. i was 17 last time i shot a deer with a muzzleloader in 1985. years of guiding hunters has taken its toll on my legs and hips now im gonna put myself on an even level with nature. i loved the story spikebuck!!!

Latest posts

Back