• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Techniques for caps on revolvers?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millermpls

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been collecting for a little over a year, but hadn't been shooting. I have tried Remington and CCI size 10 and 11 caps on two different older Remington 1858s, a Starr DA, and and Spiller and Burr, and all seem loose. I have pinched them down, but still seem to lose one or two per cylinder from the concussion of shooting. I have replaced nipples on two with fresh sets from Pietta.

Is this just the way it is? Or is there a trick that I am missing?

Thanks for your input.

Thank you, sir. I will cease any pinching, replace all old nipples, and only use size 10 caps.

I appreciate your time.

Since the mid seventies I pinch the #11's to be firm fitting. Works great. No problems. No chain fires.

Haven't tried this but and idea occurred to me about trying a dusting of powdered rosin on caps and or nipples that are a bit to loose for the first shot or two until some fouling builds up on nipple cones.
I'll have to do a bit of experimenting and see how this works on some undersize nipples.
The problem with good fitting nipples is they will not allow caps to be fully seated with a capper after they foul a bit and sometimes require a second hammer strike after the first few shots , usually on revolvers.
I keep powdered rosin for use in removing barrels from receivers in the barrel vice. It has all sorts of good uses around a gun shop when increased friction is required.

There are times when you get an Italian made revolveer and it will have metric nipples. These nipples do not fit American made caps well. I would advise changing nipples and since you will be doing that, I'd further recommend that you get some #11 nipples. While it can sometimes be a pain to find #11 caps, they are far easier to find than #10 caps. Track of The Wolf will have #11 nipples that will fit your revolvers. You may have to buy nipples for only half of your revolvers at a time because each nipple will cost in the range of $5. That figures out to $30 per revolver. But, you will have good nipples on which American caps will work properly and you will be able to enjoy your revolvers as you should. :thumbsup:

Scroll down near the bottom of the page. http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/64/1

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep RWS brand size 10 3/4 caps for just such problems. I let friends shoot their guns SAFELY & recommend that they standardize to #11's so that their rifles & hand guns are all the same.

For me, I've been lucky enough to use Remmy #10's by pinching them. Even the recoil generated by 52 gr. of 3Fg in my Walker won't jar the pinched caps loose :wink:

Dave

If I understand correctly, you replaced the cones on both 1858s with new ones from Pietta?

So does it now hold and shoot Remington #10s just fine? It should.

In the guns giving your trouble, replace the cones with Treso/Track of the Wolf cones. They are both designed to hold Remington #11s but folks say they hold #10s just fine too. Our ASM Walker with TOW cones likes Remington #11s, never a problem.

Caps and BP revolvers can be a pain. It has gotten so that I have this nice book in my gun safe listing what gun likes what manufacture and size of caps. Like my new Dance prefers CCI caps over Remington. Go figure!

Got out to the range yesterday with the Remington. Four cylinders with no cap issues. Used CCI #10s, and pinched for fit. None fell off, or failed to ignite. Guess I found the right answer for this revolver.

Thanks to all for your help.

If any percussion revolver would spew a torch out of the rear end it would be the 1858 shooting .41 cal molds.
No chain fires.

But, got a funny story. My bro' got a 1860 from Cabela's current sale with flash holes through the nipples that were so big that the back flash came down between the hammer and the frame, into the action and burned him on top of the trigger finger!
:rotf:

GoodCheer said:
But, got a funny story. My bro' got a 1860 from Cabela's current sale with flash holes through the nipples that were so big that the back flash came down between the hammer and the frame, into the action and burned him on top of the trigger finger!

I guess you could say he got burned on that deal ! . :doh:

GoodCheer said:
If any percussion revolver would spew a torch out of the rear end it would be the 1858 shooting .41 cal molds.
No chain fires.

Wonder if that revolver was a customer return that had been drilled out then returned. (sale item)

Back