• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Patriot 45

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qcml

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Just found one at my LGS. The elevation screw head is broken it half. Will T/C still have these. If not, what size is it? What size is the nipple?

Give the folks at Track of The Wolf a call. They can tell you everything you are asking about and usually have the needed parts on hand. Their number is 763-633-2500.

The nipple is 12-28, sold at TOW, and I have found them in old gun shops.

I'll see about the elevation screw and get back if I find the answer.

The older Hawken sight had the same screw. Dixie lists the sights, but I don't know if they sell the screw seperate. Numrich, may have it, they used to list it.

Just some other options.

The owner's manual is available at Thompson Center. The stocks were proned to cracking, at the lock screw. 35 grains is Max. charge ( for 45 cal.), but I never load more than 25 grs. for fear of cracking the stock. Never place the butt on a solid surface when loading, as many people believe,that is another reason why the stocks get cracked.

They are a great pistol, and very accurate.

Thanks for the information. I shot the pistol sunday. 20 grains of 3f seemed to work just fine.
I've got boat load of .433RB. Nice group from the bench. The lock plate was rubbing on breech plug.
Took a drumel to it. Slides in nice and easy now. Could be why they crack there.

I have two Patriots. I have never had any problems with cracking. The cracked ones I have seen were caused from heavy handed screw driving the lock bolt, heavy loads and improper loading procedures. Mishandling can lead to failure.

I have a patriot that the stock has not cracked on yet and am wondering if glass and perhaps piller bedding the lock, barrel and hooked tang would reinforce the stock enough to prevent problems in the future. MD

Glass bedding could help. My pistols are not bedded. During loading, I never let any part of the pistol touch a hard object like a bench top. I think those loading stands can contribute to broken stocks. I hold the pistol in my hand during the entire loading process. That eliminates any extra stresses on the stock. I keep my powder charges low, 18-24 gr FFFG. I never over tighten the lock bolt, just slightly snug it up. It works fine for me. :hmm:

I was fortunate enough to find a .45cal TC Patriot earlier this year that was in great condition (no cracked stock) and for a reasonable price. It is such a pleasure to shoot and so very accurate.

I use 25gr of 3F w/prb for everything up to 50yds. For longer shots I bump the load up to 35gr. This is my first BP pistol and I took a cue from the other pistol shooters at the club and built a loading stand for it. It seemed to me, as was earlier stated, that one of the reasons these wonderful pistols get the infamous crack is the pressure exerted in that area from loading in the typical stand. Therefore I made a modification to mine as you can see in this picture. I made a template of the curvature of the grip and milled out a block of wood to give an approximate fit. I then glued leather strips to cushion and to provide a custom fit. So far it has worked very well for me.

PatriotStand_zps34815ce6.jpg

Flint,
That stand looks interesting, and no doubt it works well. I hold my pistol by the barrel during loading. Absolutely no pressure on the stock.

I think TC only recommends loads up to 24-25 gr. I would have to double check that, but I don't think I'm too far off.

The charge for 45 cal. is 20 to 35. You can google the manual and it is also on Thompson Center web site.

I think I will glass bed the lock and hooked breech and install a steel rod bedded in glass up the length of the pistol grip just as I did in the horse pistol. That should prevent any stock cracking as I very much like to use a loading stand with my single shot pistols. MD

The modifications you mentioned couldn't hurt. How about some before and after pictures of the pistol... :hmm:

Thanks, that is persimmon wood and was going to be the club head on a golf club driver until I rescued it! :haha:

I show the before as I'm in the middle of a .22 low wall build right now and nest up is getting that pesky flint Yazel of mine working right.
P1010757-1.jpg

I didn't like the shiny blue finish so I stripped it, glass beaded and gave it the LMR treatment.
I'll try to remember to take some pictures of the glass bedding and steel rod in the grip as it's being done. You'll not be able to see any of the work, if I do the work right, after it's finished. MD

Back