• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Locks... new type or old?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of pics here...
[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum...c.php?tid/197891/post/313048/hl//#313048[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the old style in percussion. I can see no reason to change it. I can see why in flintlock though, better reliability and flint life. Does anyone know if there any real benefits to changing the percussion lock for the new style?
Idaho PRB

OLD STYLE TC FLINT LOCK ASSEMBLY...note severe "S" shape to hammer, and the "notch" in the back edge of the hammer right above the hammer mounting screw...also, the hammer is quite short with the bottom jaw just barely clearing the "fence"...and the frizzen is case colored

TCFlintlockOldStylecloseuprightside.jpg

NEW STYLE TC FLINT LOCK ASSEMBLY”¦note much more gentle “S” curve shape (and no notch), it’s much taller with the lower jaw clearing much higher above the fence, the frizzen is solid jet black color, and you can see the huge new style vent liner in the photo

5CLOSEUPLockArea800.jpg

Notice also in the old model that if you follow the bottom edge of the flint down into the pan, it hits " short ", or to the near side of the pan. Its not likely to throw a lot of sparks into the flashpan, until they bounce of that fence. In the new model, the flint points beyond the vent hole, to the front or forward side of the pan. That allows the sparks to be thrown into the pan and still ignite the priming powder as the flint edge wears down with use.

T/C is to be commended for making this change.

I just looked at the 45 TC flinter I just got.It is the old type.TC support said it was made somewhere between 80'-85'.(K155xxx)It was hitting real short on the frizzen and had some deep pitting on the frizzen.The TC frizzen is about 1 7/16" and the flint was hitting at 1/2" from the bottom of the frizzen.I replaced the old frizzen with a new Lyman.Is there anything I can do to get a new hammer or do I just use it?

410-er said:
I just looked at the 45 TC flinter I just got.It is the old type.TC support said it was made somewhere between 80'-85'.(K155xxx)It was hitting real short on the frizzen and had some deep pitting on the frizzen.The TC frizzen is about 1 7/16" and the flint was hitting at 1/2" from the bottom of the frizzen.I replaced the old frizzen with a new Lyman.Is there anything I can do to get a new hammer or do I just use it?
If you'll just send the old unreliable lock back to TC they'll take care of everything no charge.

But...if you've just modified the frizzen bridle to allow a non-TC part to fit, you just killed the no charge warranty.

I modified the frizzen.Got a boxlot at a public sale for around $5.In the bottom was about 5 new Lyman frizzens!Should I contact TC before ship?

410-er said:
I modified the frizzen.Got a boxlot at a public sale for around $5.In the bottom was about 5 new Lyman frizzens!Should I contact TC before ship?
I always had the best luck just sending the lock priority mail/delivery confirmation to the TC Service Manager without calling ahead of[url] time...include[/url] a memo talking about needing it to be more reliable, stop eating flints, etc.
Sometimes you'll get the lock plate back with all the other parts replaced, sometimes you'll get an entire new lock assembly.
(And get the Lyman frizzen back off of course)

Last edited by a moderator:
Took the Lyman frizzen off and put the TC back on.Sent the lock back to TC on Tuesday.Will see how long and what kind of responce I get.

410-er said:
Took the Lyman frizzen off and put the TC back on.Sent the lock back to TC on Tuesday.Will see how long and what kind of responce I get.
They've been awfully good about it with lots of people so far...

I just received my lock back from T/C. I sent it in with a note that it was not sparking. It had the old style cock and frizzen, as well as a worn out agate in the cock. The frizzen was almost new.
All they did, as far as I can tell is install a new agate and leather in the jaw. In fact, the setup is too long and will hold the frizzen open when its at half cock position. Needless to say I was a little dissapointed, as I could have installed a new flint and fitted it properly, without two international shipments...

fusil de chasse said:
I just received my lock back from T/C. I sent it in with a note that it was not sparking. It had the old style cock and frizzen, as well as a worn out agate in the cock. The frizzen was almost new.
All they did, as far as I can tell is install a new agate and leather in the jaw. In fact, the setup is too long and will hold the frizzen open when its at half cock position. Needless to say I was a little dissapointed, as I could have installed a new flint and fitted it properly, without two international shipments...
That is shocking to hear, and definitely not the norm that we've been experiencing for years on this subject.

If it was me I wouldn't settle for that...and I'd fire it back straight to the President of the company this time, with TWO complaints:

1) The lack of reliability of the lock;
2) The poor customer service failing to improve it under TCs lifetime warranty;

To whom did you send the lock in the first place?

Bill

When I got mine back,it too had a new flint and a new hammer.The frizzen was really pitted and wasn't replaced.It WAS a TC frizzen!The angle of strike was real poor,I thought.Have called back and talked to the guy that worked on it.He told me he was working on them for 20 years and this was the best setup.I haven't tried it yet and I guess I shouldn't judge but one thing for sure.................It not a Lyman!I just wish Lyman made a 45 here in the states!

when I got my lock back from T/C it had a new frizzem and flint but still had the old style hammer. i have not had time to take it out too shoot ,but it sprrks OK.

O.K..... I just found the work order for my lock that was returned to T/C for repairs.
Says they replaced the tumbler, fly, bridle screws, main plunger rod and the agate flint and leather.
No Charge.

I had the same lame service I sent a lock with the old style hammer {like the top one in your pictures roundball} with a note saying it was using flints and not working all the time and they sent me a new frizzen with the same hammer and when I called and questaned the main man about it he treated me like I didnt know what I was talking about. :cursing: :hmm: :bull: I can almost bye a new one from Cain after shipping it to them 2 times. :shocked2:

Nimrod

Back