• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making hammers for a percussion gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom in nc

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently bought my first endoscope that works great with my phone camera. I have checked most of my guns (and found that a couple needed a little cleaning and oiling). The barrels for my 12 ga double looked surprisingly good though. Now I want to cut, grind, and file out a pair of hammers for it. I have a lathe with milling attachment if I need it.
Will someone that knows walk me thru what exactly I should do once the hammers are shaped like I want? Heat & treat the entire hammer, or just the striking surface? Thanks.

I have made a few and I made them out of 1018 low carbon steel. I did not case harden them and one gun with the one hammer is over 35 years old and still going strong. I did have to replace the nipple many times though in that number of years. I now am shooting flint rifles more. The rifle below was made in 1968 and the lock was all made by me with hand tools.
IMG_1903.JPG

Last edited:
You may have an easier time finding new cast hammers to fit, or even adapting an old set of hammers. Making from scratch is a hard job, and you may not be happy with the end result. I only make hammers as a last resort!

There was a post on a English gun site that showed a guy making a hammer for a shotgun, I can’t remember where, but he did a good job of it.

I will buy my cast hammer if I need them now. It is a LOT of work to make one. :doh:

You may want to find someone to rough forge one to a wood pattern you make, then finish it up. I would think forging one would be easier than cutting grinding and filing one out.

There was a post on a English gun site that showed a guy making a hammer for a shotgun, I can’t remember where, but he did a good job of it.
I made a hammer too, took ages with an angie grinder , not that happy with it. I ordered one in uk. The guy kepy “saying yes it in a box on the shelf “. Total ???? He’s well know too .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Making hammers is definitely a test of your skills. In trying to understand your desire, If hammers for this gun were not available to purchase I also would want to make the replacement hammers also. Having made so many items out of tool steel O-1 that is what I would use probably. I offer this video as to how this man made a replacement hammer for his son's gun. Even if I did not have a milling machine I probably would not have drilled that many holes as shown and used more filing. Would probably make a template first to get the feel and measurements that would be needed. At least the guy had a one hammer to go by. Good luck with your project, your best tool to have is determination.
PS That book offered above for for $9 would be a great buy no matter what.

Last edited:
Back