• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Target loads for 45c barrel with 1:66 twist

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squirejohn

40 Cal.
Reaction score
A recently ordered 45c rifle kit comes with a Rice swamped barrel with a 1:66 twist. From what I've read I'm sure this is a very accurate barrel. However the twist may be a little slow for target shooting with light loads. Does anyone have any experience with a 1:66 twist in 45c? I'd be interested in knowing what sort of accuracy you get with light loads and what load/patch/ ball size do you use? By light loads I mean up to about 65g 3f.

I've got a Getz swamped 45 cal. Don't know if it's 1 in 66 or not. I use 35 grains at 25 and 45 grains at 50 for target shooting. I even stay with 50 grains for the long shots at primitive unknown distances. I use a 445 ball with .012 patch. My husband has a Douglas 45 cal he thinks is that twist. He uses 40 or 45 grains at at 25 and 50 and maybe 55 or 60 at 100 with .015 to .018 patch. I profile my rifle by shooting 5 shots with different powder loads from a rest positon (I like cross sticks-holds more like off hand for me). I had one rifle that just liked 55 grains, and that was that. Less or more started spreading out the groups. Then all I have to do is hold it on! :imo:

I have been shooting my Matt Avance TVM Tenn .45 with .440 cast balls from a Lee mould, 50 to 60 grains of Goex 3F, 3F or 4F in the pan, .15 patch with TC lube. Got groups that almost touch at 50 yards. But some days...not even close...I think it's just me.

.440 RB, .018 ticking, 35 gr. 3Fg. 40 yds. max. (squirrell, rabbit, headshots at sitting puddle ducks, geese, pheasants)
.445 " , " " , 65 gr. ". 65-70 yds. max. (Target, chucks, vermin)
245 gr. maxi, 80 gr. 3 fg. 75-80 yds. max. (with authority) Deer, yotes, fox, coon)
That's what "my" limitations are with my eyes, hold, gun, and all other variables. (you'd probably do better) This in a 34" "not much" barrel (old and sorta "shot-in?")
Takes awhile to get to know your gun (they're all different). Got mine the weekend before my 1st daughter was born. Told the wife it would give me something to do at home while consoling her (shrewed? :eek:). That was 31 yrs. ago. She (my daughter) has taken 2 deer with it when I'd let her "borrow" it years ago. (But "daddy" had to do the draggin, skinning and cooking! - she helped with the gutting, cutting, and wraping) :eek:ff:

Recently I've been experimenting with very light loads. I've been using 25 gr of 3f at 25 and 50 yards. Except for the point of impact the accuracy hasn't changes. :hmm:

Thanks to all of you for the feedback. After much debate with myself and review of posts from this and other boards I think a little faster twist may be a better option for the type of shooting I intend to do with this rifle.

I use 50 gr 3F, 440 ball and 015 patch for target shooting up to 50 yds with my 45 cal Pedersoli Flint Kentucky.

I use 70 gains 3f goex 445 ball in green mountana 40 1/2 inch barrel.For everthing just easy to remember 1 load.Hits gophers out to 120yds,that about as far that i can see the little guys. :)

Latest posts

Back