• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tack removal...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pa woods roamer

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right Forum but here goes...I picked up a GPR stock and plan to get a barrel for it. There are tacks imbedded in it.I want to get rid of the tacks. Is there a way to hide the tack holes after they are removed??

No, where the holes are the wood is bruised & no way of hiding it. Were it one or two tacks, possibly. If sy sand out the holes you won't have any stock left. The only way I have seen them covered where it is not as noticable is stain it almost black.

mix glazing compound with earth tone oil paints aand blend to the stock coloe. then squeeze out the oil from the putty with cardboard that will absorb the excess oil, then press the compound into the holes leaving it a bit proud. several days and sand off the proud . burnish with a piece of dowel. color will blend in over time. an old furniture restorers trick . finish as you wish. Bob

Yes.
A damp cloth and your wife’s steam iron will remove
a lot or all of it. Some wood bleach on the remnants of
the hole and the stain is gone.

The wood is not gone most of the time, just compressed.
I have restored stocks that had been maliciously stabbed
with a screwdriver. the owner could not see them when it
was finished.

No sanding, no filling, just expanding the compressed
grain/fiber of the wood.

Tinker2

What Tinker2 says is true if the damage to the wood is recent, but if it has been that way for a long time, the wood will have forgotten its former shape.
In that case, the idea presented by really old Bob sounds like the best approach to me for a long term fix.

zonie :)

Go to Lowes and get furnature touch up wax stick. Heat end of stick, and wipe into holes. They come in different colors and you should be able to touch it up to not noticeable, even up close.

Back