• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Hawken with Blued Furniture

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,
Has anyone ever replaced the brass furniture (trigger guard, thimbles, escutcheons etc.) on a T/C Hawken with blued ones? Did I say something sacrilegious? Original Hawkens had iron furniture, correct?

TOW sell iron furniture replacements. Original Hawkens might have had brass or iron fittings, though I have never seen one with brass fittings. Honestly, I prefer the iron fittings on my Renegades to the brass ones. With brass, you either have to keep polishing it or let it tarnish and I have spent too many years wearing a uniform to tolerate tarnish on brass. Go for it!

For close to 40 years the Hawken Shop has marketed a set of iron parts to put a cast steel scroll guard, butt plate, thimbles, and toe piece to replace the T/C brass parts. It is worthy to note that the brass T/C parts make for a gun that is similar to the Hawken "Squirrel Rifle" that was built by Jake and Sam. Similar brass parts show up on the smaller caliber Dimmick rifles and some Ohio guns.

TC themselves made a Hawken with blued furniture. It came from their Fox Ridge Outfitters custom shop. Believe they called it the Hawken Custom Classic or some such. Had a 30 or 31 inch high-gloss blue barrel.

One problem with changing out the brass for blue is that no-one makes a replacement iron patchbox for them.

I've used Birchwood Caseys Brass Black. You have to keep at it as it takes several treatments to get it dark enough.

The first TC Hawken kit I finished I sent the brass trigger guard, ram rod guides back to TC for exchange for the blackened parts off of a Renegade.. I blackened the patch box and butt plate with gun blue. A year or two later Fox Ridge was offering a steel hardware Hawken in their catalog.

I have a custom shop Hawken that I think was TC run in 1993. It has no patchbox and blued steel parts along with color case hardened trigger guard and thimbles. Also premium walnut.

Back