• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Hawken round ball size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use .440 in a T/C Hawken. .010 patches work good, you can go thicker if you wanted. I use .018, I don’t know that they shoot better or not, it’s just what I have.

Bought my TC 45 in early 70's and shot .440's for a number of years with accuracy and no problems. Late 70's/early 80's I bought some .445's (can't recall patch thickness used) but didn't see any advantage in accuracy and they loaded harder. Have used 440's since, don't recall patch thickness. Found some fabric at a shop years ago that I liked the small sample I had, went back and bought several yards, still using it. Tossed the remaining .445's into the lead pot and recast as .440's.

Having fooled with a bunch of TCs, I found that bores vary at times from gun to gun. I couldn't start a .495 down the barrel of my .50 kit gun with a hammer, a .490 is tight but doable. Others with a .50 Hawken load a .495 easily.

Having fooled with a bunch of TCs, I found that bores vary at times from gun to gun. I couldn't start a .495 down the barrel of my .50 kit gun with a hammer, a .490 is tight but doable. Others with a .50 Hawken load a .495 easily.
I think thats the issue with mine a .445 and a patch I doubt could be seated hydraulically

Having fooled with a bunch of TCs, I found that bores vary at times from gun to gun
Amen, Bro. TC used various barrel makers over the years. BTW, that .495, if soft lead, will go down and be shootable. But, you do have to whack it hard to make it go. Actually, not usually worth the effort, use the .440".

I have a 45 caliber Pedersoli, Missouri River, Hawken, percussion rifle. I get my best results with a .445 round ball and a .012 patch.

Back